Thread: Nuc Questions

I couldn't get the packages I wanted,so I ordered some nucs from a large operation near me to pick up in mid May.

I liked everything that we talked about,but I neglected to ask about this guys disease history.

Should I bring these nucs straight home?

I have been thinking that wouldn't be prudent,but that setting them up in a different yard till I'm sure that they are healthy would be a better plan.

Do you have any advice?

How long of a "quarratine" period would be wise?

I have some nice comb, should I cycle his comb out ASAP? Overkill?

Well,this may have covered...If so,please excuse me....Just getting started(2nd year)and don't want to blow it.

THANKS as always.

If it's a large operation as you say, you probably won't have any problems, because they are probably inspected. That being said, caution is worth a lot sometimes.
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

Most states require bees to be certified that they are disease free. I don't know if that also means that there are no mites but I would ask the person that your buying the bees from if they have been inspected and if you could have a copy of the paper. I see no problem with putting them on their permanent stands. Every time you move them you risk possibly killing the queen and lost of work force unless you move them late at night. As far as the comb goes keep an eye on it and maybe mark it with a tumb tack so you know which one they are. If no disease happens during a cycle or two of brood then you can assume that everything is ok.
    I hope this helps.
    Dan

I always hate to offer advice on these kinds of questions. What I would do is probably put them in my beeyard. But the problem is there is the risk involved and you might put them in your beeyard and then find some AFB and then you'll think (correctly) it was a bad idea. What *I* would do isn't always the most prudent thing, it's just, from my point of view, the most practical thing. But it certainly could backfire for you (or me when I do it) and then I'd feel bad at having given that advice. It's the same with cleaning up used equipment. I don't. But if you ever use some old equipment and get AFB you'll certainly think it was a bad idea not to have scorched or boiled in lye etc.

Summary: The prudent thing is probably, if you have the place to put them, to put them somewhere else for a while and look for AFB and any other problems first and then go to your site. But if it was me, I probably wouldn't.

Asking for a copy of the health certificate is a good idea. I'm not certain, but I think they do require them in NY. But a more and more states don't require one at all or only require one when the bees cross state lines so there may not even be one in some places.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF