Thread: joining hives

I got a feral hive to weeks ago and the queen was killed before I extracted the hive from the house, it had 2 queen cells and they where damaged, so i put a frame of eggs and brood in this hive almost 3 weeks ago and checked to day and no queen cells have been made and no eggs at all, so I combined them with the newpaper method and was wondering if I did right or did I mess up? could I have done something else? the hive (queenless hive) only had about 4 frames of bee's.
    Ted

I'll bet there was another queen cell somwhere and there's a virgin queen now. But if you combined the bees will sort it all out. Otherwise I think they would have tried to raise another queen when you gave them the eggs.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

see michael, they had 2 queen cells when I put the frame of eggs and a frame of capped brood in , but when I checked 2 weeks ago 1 egg has been opened and the other with a small hole in the top but the puppa was still white so I thought the other cell hatch and killed it but its been 2 weeks and i have tore the hive apart 3 times since then and still havent seen a queen or eggs, they are mean as a firecracker to so I figure if the queen hatched something happened to her. so I just thought i would combine them with my weakest queen-right hive.
    Ted

I takes two weeks from when a queen emerges until she's laying. That's 28 days from the egg to a laying queen or 25 days from a three day old larva to a laying queen. You won't see any eggs for 25 days from when you put the frame of eggs in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF