How many frames is considered to be honey bound? I have about 3 frames, but with honey in the cells. Is this bad?? :confused: Also I have a queen she is a minnesota hygienic and she lays on only about 6 frames on comb. Why doesn't she lay on more? I have 18 in there. :confused:

How many frames do you have open for her to lay in?

Sometimes the queens stick to a certain region in a hive and slowly migrate around. They only ocassionaly cross up and down between supers/hivebodies in my observations.

bschmidtbauer sezs:
    How many frames is considered to be honey bound

tecumseh first ask:
    So it sounds like you have two deep brood boxs and I would assume she is laying in the bottom box? Is anything in the top brood box? Typically the queen will lay in the center of the brood nest and work out and up. Pretty much like a expanding balloon in slow mo. Honey bound (or pollen bound) is when all the available space in the brood area becomes filled with nectar (or pollen) and there is an increasingly limited number of cells for the queen to lay eggs. So the question is, do you have brood (all ages) in the main brood area (or is it being crowded out by nectar) and secondly is their space for expansion on either side and/or above the main brood cluster?

Correct, I have 2 Deep Hive Bodies on. She his laying on 3 on the bottom and 3 on the top. She is on the right side if you look at the hive straight on. On the top box there are a frome of almost all honey blocking her. Should I move that towards the end and put a empty comb there? On the bottom she could move towards the middle fine.

As long as she has room to lay they are doing fine. If not, then you need to do something.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

bsschmidbauer sezs:
    On the bottom she could move towards the middle fine.

tecumseh first ask:
    So the brood nest is essetially 3 frames above and 3 frames below? The remaining frames in the bottom box are pretty much open and the top box is pretty much plugged with honey (but not necessarily capped)? Lastly, have you added any honey super to this hive?

tecumseh best guess: the brood nest is expanding more in a vertical pattern than horizontal. Not exactly how you like to see the brood nest expand (which is generally horizontal), but it is not that unusual either. Sounds like a classic case where reversing boxs (you are more likely to simple want to move some frames down-rather than the entire box) would be of some benefit, which is basically the idea of moving frames of honey (it should be uncapped honey) towards the entrance. The girls don't much care for this organization and they tend to then begin moving the honey upwards. If you haven't added a super do this at the same time (especially if you are starting with foundation which will tend to get drawn in the process). Move the brood nest (3 up and 3 down) towards the center of the two boxs placing the most open drawn frames on each side of the brood nest. This will give the brood nest the possibilities of expanding in two direction rather than stictly from right to left. Move the most sealed frames of honey towards the outside wall (and away from the main brood nest) since the girls are fairly loathed to uncap sealed honey.

Tecumseh: I did rearrange the frames into the order you have suggested. Thank you for your input and help. I appreciate it [img]smile.gif[/img]