Do workers tear down open queen cells once the queens have been released? If so, how long does it take? I had my strongest hive swarm a second time this year and there are about 8 opened queen cells. No larvae or eggs yet, I wonder how long it has been since the hive swarmed. There is still a bit of capped brood left. I'm hoping there is a virgin or recently mated queen running around in there.

Some good news and bad news in branman's world...

good news is that there is definitely sourwood in my outyard in north georgia, bad news is the one hive I kept strong(didn't split) swarmed so it didn't make any. Well, it did, it just put it all in the now empty broodnest area. Some other good news, a hive I made a split from strengthened up enough to make me 4 frames of sourwood. Yep, count em, four [img]smile.gif[/img] Oh lord, it's tasty though, I broke off some brace comb and ate it.

edit: it sure seemed like there was a good sourwood flow this year, although I have nothing to really compare it to. I'm amazed since we had so much stinking rain this year.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

>Do workers tear down open queen cells once the queens have been released?

Some will and some won't. I haven't been able to figure out why. I noticed eight empty queen cells in one hive last weekend. Unfortunately there was no queen or brood. Most of the cells were torn open from the side. Maybe the barn swallows got her
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

This months issue of ABJ has a story about queens ripping a hole in the side of quenn cells and stinging the queen larvae to death before it emerges. Maybe that is what happened with yours.
    It is what it is.