Hybrid View

since the place i bought my two hives from this year medicated the bees in march, does that mean that the hive honey i just collected from my upset hives (see previous post) is tainted? does one only eat honey collected from supers, and only put supers on a few days/weeks after medicating bees?

You wrote:
    since the place i bought my two hives from this year medicated the bees in march, does that mean that the hive honey i just collected from my upset hives (see previous post) is tainted? does one only eat honey collected from supers, and only put supers on a few days/weeks after medicating bees?

reply:
    Well, Apistan and Coumaphos treated equipment is technically not supposed to be extracted I think, but I could be wrong. But as far as I know it is for bee feed only and not human consumption.

Sincerely,

Dee A. Lusby

thanks for the reply dee. i looked up the msds sheets on those two chemicals as well as the company "how to apply" information for each.

my hives were bought from a local beekeeping supply house in north georgia. the guy there builds hives from kits, and then puts package bees from a mid-georgia bee wholesaler in there. i don't think any of the toxin strips were ever put in this hive, but i'll check on that tomorrow when they open for business.

right now, we've extracted all the honey from the 2.5 bear-broken frames and have come up w/somewhere around three quarts of honey. we don't have any extracting equipment other than normal kitchen strainers, so it was a very "hands on" experience =-)

i'm going to hold onto the honey now until i can verify whether it's fit for humans (in my opinion) and get down to figuring out how to protect my hive from a bear that now knows where to come to get a tasty meal.