Question

A friend has a bee nest in a huge black walnut tree. He doesn't want the tree damaged, and will kill the bees if they aren't removed. (He's alergic) The hole is about 6 feet off the ground and is only about 4" wide. Someone told me there is a way to get them out using some sort of cone. Does anyone have a link or advice on this?
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

do a search on this site for the cone method.

A search on the cone method should return a lot of discussions. Here's my take:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesferal.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you both. I will see if he can wait until a dearth, but I think he wants it done now. Very good info.
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Here is how I did it …worked for me got Queen and all…
    I picked up a 4” pipe flange to 1 ¼ pipe … you may need a 6” … But any way I use 1 ¼ PVC pipe and connect pipe to a box that is the size of a 5 frame nuc or half of a ten put the cone inside the box… under the box I put a ten frame box so the bees will need to go in and out of the hive with a piece of ply wood to cover the other half. The hard part is to get all this by the hive…. After about two weeks pull the pipe push a flexible pipe in the hole and put in some moth balls …then replace pipe with the cone out side the box this time ( could put a screen between the pipe so the moth balls do not go in to the hive box) I didn’t … two more weeks your done.
    Why I put the cone in a box was to keep the people from seeing the beard of bees hanging over head from the cone.
    Why I made it 5 frame nuc size … that is what I had at the time….. But got a lot more bees than the five frame nuc could hold, and you need to feed them honey or 1:1 and you can just pull the piece of plywood to add frames or food. You could use ten frame nuc box and put the cone in side it and do the same thing….But if he is He's allergic the beard of bees that will be hanging off the cone will be bad man real bad.

Thanks so much. I did a search on cone method as suggested. Wow, guess I should have done that before I asked, but didn't really know what it was called. I'm sure you oldtimers get sick of hearing the same questions over & over. Thanks for being patient with us Newbees.

>I'm sure you oldtimers get sick of hearing the same questions over & over.

Yea, we've heard that question once or twice..... today.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF