Thread: Hive Assembly

Question

We've just recieved our unassembled hive bodies and frames. The recommendation is to glue with some kind of "Wood Glue" and nail. Has anyone used "Gorilla Glue" for this function? Any reasons why I shouldn't use Gorilla Glue?...It is really waterproof and will stick around for a long time.

Thanks

dnkmett;

I use Gorilla glue and deck screws nails work loose after awhile.

Terry

The gorilla glue holds so good you only need the nails or screws to clamp the box together until it cures. There is a cheaper glue of the same quality. I think it is Tite bond II.

Elmers makes a urethane glue called Probond that is cheaper than Gorilla.

Do not forget to wet the wood before applying the glue as it requires it as a catalyst. With this all you need is nails and perhaps screws in the corners.

I think that the Gorilla glue will expand, so if you put too much on your jionts it will expand out of the jiont. This might not be a problem with hive boxes but it can sure mesh up a piece of furniture
    you must endeavor to persevere

I use Probond polyurethane glue. You take a damp rag and wipe it on the areas to be glued. Don't put to much.... a little goes a long way. The glue will expand. If it over-expands into a clump on the outside you can sand it down before you paint it. As long at it isn't too much I don't mess with it. I also screw my boxes together. I have found a square drive screw works better than a phillips.

Dan
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

I just use TiteBond II and my finish nailer. Haven't had one fail yet.

I use TiteBond II as well. This time, I glued up and clamped each box for approx 30 min before even nailing them. That way I knew that they were square and plumb when they were nailed. And the nailing ALMOST seemed like over kill as the boxes were so solid by the time they dried.

WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote