Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: be careful

Wink

An interesting piece of trivia; A Barn Owl is the only critter alive, as far as I know, that will and does eat skunks.
    So to get rid of skunks get a few Barn Owls.

[size="1"][ April 15, 2006, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: SilverFox ][/size]
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

the skunk/owl matchup sounds like a tough fight. Maybe a baby skunk, but a full grown skunk is mean as ****.

I live in rattlesnake country. Me and the snakes have come to an understanding, they leave me alone and I leave them alone, unless they stick around. I used to kill them when I was younger (talk about an adreline rush when you're fighting a six footer!) but nowadays I am older and wiser and understand they have been here longer than I and have a right to life so I give them some respect. I've become very good at handling them with a 10 foot long pole with a noose at the end. I pick them up and plop them into a box and take them for a ride on my motorcyle down the road and let them go. This happens about 5 or 6 times a summer.

With two large dogs and a healthy skunk population, we're always getting that freshly-sprayed skunk smell wafting through the bedroom windows at night. Can't say it smells much like coffee, though.

My biggest dog, Max, hates bees. If they invade his space, he will chase them down and has learned to bite them without getting stung 99% of the time. Sometimes he does get stung though, then it makes him hate them even more. He leaves the hives alone though.
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

Hey FordGuy you ever seen a full grown Barn Owl??
    They are pretty darn big. It's the talons that do the work. 2+ inches long. 15-20+ pounds, hitting something at about 25mph, gonna knock what ever it hits silly for a while, till the coup-de-gras.
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

&gt;&gt;I pick them up and plop them into a box and take them for a ride on my motorcyle down the road and let them go.

OK I don't care how good that box is, there's no way I'm putting me and a snake on a motorcycle. You're much braver than I!
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

My dog faced down a skunk and neither would yield. I had to pick up the dog and carry her to the car. We were both drenched.

The only thing that takes off skunk stink is tomato juice, so we stopped at Pick 'N Save on the way home for 4 big cans. It must have been courtesy day because everyone insisted that I go to the front of the line. The cashier and bagger were very nice too and had me on my way in a jiffy! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Best,
    Tom

Actually a few other things work, but tomato juice seems to be the least toxic.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Good old fashion cider vinegar has always worked the best for me. less messy than the tomato juice too.

Do I dare say that I actually like the smell of skunk? its a sign of spring around here. Of course not when its right outside....

Beats the other sign of spring which is when then neighbors start cleaning out the free stall and spred it to my imeadiat west....

tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12