Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: be careful

yesterday while walking around the beehives i found our first little friend of the year. a large about 3 foot long rattlesnake hidden under a hive .. was not a happpy camper ..needless to say he didnt last long watch out people they are coming out already .
    scott ellis

Black widows are easy to find around here.

If I FOUND SNAKE I WOULD MOVE NOT JUST MY HIVE MY HOLE HOUSE

>rattlesnake hidden under a hive ..

Bet you don't have a rat or mouse problem...
    Dulcius ex asperis

I love to have a bull snake living under my hives. Maybe I should find one...

I might even put up with at rattler to get rid of the mice.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I think I have a skunk.... which means my dogs aint do'in their job.....

Would rather have a skunk then a rattlesnake though......

tom

>I think I have a skunk.... which means my dogs aint do'in their job.....

Oh man, skunks and dogs just don't mix. At least my dogs have never gotten the better of a skunk, it's always been the other way around, just like porcupines. What are you thinking?

>I love to have a bull snake living under my hives. Maybe I should find one...

We've got garter and milk snakes here in abundance, they do an admirable job on mice. I've seen a 2' long milk snake eating a rat. We also have black racers which get upwards of 6-8' long but it's rare you see them. It's been years since I saw one.
    Dulcius ex asperis

Love my black snakes! They're all over the place and not a mouse to be seen. Not too thrilled with chicken snakes (since I've got chickens, but so far I've managed to keep them out of the run and especially the coop). And then, of course, there's them copperheads. . .one of my dogs had a "conversation" with one of them last summer. Got bit on the ankle and then went back for more & got bit on the snout. That's when he finally came to the back door whimpering. Copperhead 1, Petie 0. And the dog's so stupid, I guarantee he'd do it all over again, given the chance.

Always had a lot of black snakes here until a neighbor that is terrified of snakes moved in--about six hundred yards away. He kills each and every snake he sees!!!!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

>I guarantee he'd do it all over again, given the chance.

I have a friend in Western Nebraska who has a dog that hates rattlesnakes with a passion. The dog kills them every chance he gets. From spring until fall his face is swelled up from rattlesnake bites. The more they bite him, the more he hates them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I like snakes in general and will stop to move a gopher (bull) snake out of the road.But I dont care for rattlers under the hives.They get the 357 treatment.

George,
    "skunks and dogs just don't mix". "What are you thinking?"

Id rather have the dogs mix with the skunks then the bees. The dogs stay out side...skunk smells better then when they roll in dead wood chuck.

When you live in the boonies, you learn to love the aromas of the boonies [img]smile.gif[/img]

tom

>skunk smells better then when they roll in dead wood chuck.

Hehehe... debatable. Certainly no worse, right up there with dead fish which, living on a lake, is more often what my dogs come up with. I've been hit square in the chest by skunk and I puked my guts out. Don't remember ever doing that when my dogs came in reeking of dead whatever [img]smile.gif[/img]

Then again, my dogs live in my house and sleep on my bed. If they were outside critters I might not care so much what they roll in or play with.

I live in the boonies, know what you mean about them aromas, but skunk.. man.. I dunno. Every time I smell it I get a little queasy feeling [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Dulcius ex asperis

You think you all have issues?
    WELL LISTEN TO THIS:
    I actually have,,,,,,O.K. you better set down before you read the rest of this.
    Are you setting down?
    I actually have FLYING, STINGING INSECTS, flying in and out of my hives.
    Can you believe it?
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Harry, are you INSANE???
    Dulcius ex asperis

whenever I smell skunk I think of coffee. Try it next time, you will see the aromas of both are not that far off. Now I am talking about roadkill skunk, cause I live in the city and haven't actually smelled skunk right out of the woods. Most of us here like snakes and love bees. Most other people tell me how much they hate bees and snakes and kill both when they can. That is pitiful but true.

Good to know Scott, I'm in Torrington. Almost had a heart attack the other day because I was out driving one of my Shetlands and heard a rattle right next to me...freaked me and the horse out good. Was only a corn stalk caught in the spoke of the wheel but for a minute I thought I was going to be flying down the road behind a runaway with a snake streaming from my arm. Everyone else thought it was too early for them to be out but its been so nice lately that I'm sure they're out there waiting for me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

I kill 7-10 rattlers a year around the house and yard. It's not too bad if you see them first but when they take you by surprise it's hard on the heart. Got some barn cats from the animal shelter a few weeks back I hope they keep them away. So far this year I've seen 2 dead snakes in the road, if it stops raining and warms up they will be comming out.

Jim

Free range Chickens and Guineas are good for snake deterent. They will kill and eat even good sized snakes.

We rarely see a snake anymore due to the chickens...and they will also eat mice, baby mice are a favorite.

Pigs also will kill and eat snakes...they really go after them!

LaRae

[size="1"][ April 15, 2006, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: LaRae ][/size]

If any snakes come out here, they will be slithering through the snow by morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast