Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what a silly question. Here's why I ask it:
    I rec'd a hive of russians year dna a half ago, and they have been going like gangbusters since. They are unstoppable. They also pull hair, bite, chase you, come to look for you at your house, and wait by teh door, snickering. And they are my best honey producers. They produce incredible amounts of brood. Russians are said to be somewhat verroa resistant, I assume because of their tendancy to bite, they probably also bite mite bodies. This hive had reached 2 deeps full of brood, and had attained a critical mass that they decided to kill me and eat me. Well, I'm not so sure about that, but maybe.

So, today, because I have 2 kids and one on the way, I went into this crazy hive and tore it down till I found the queen. She looked like something from teh movie "Alien." She was hideously beutiful, and large. Her coloration was caramel and black, and she moved with a purpose, moreso than other queens. I placed her in a nuc with frames of nectar/pollen, brood comb and with a few workers. I want to give her austere and difficult conditions to see if she can bounce back. I took the frames of eggs and shook the nurse bees back into the hive, then placed them with other weak nucs that have queens. I placed the frames of capped brood with nucs that have queen cells.

I like having the russians around for drone paternal genetics. And it seems also they can be used for donor frames of brood.

But tell me, is this typical of all russian hives? Or do I just have a good queen?

--They also pull hair, bite, chase you, come to look for you at your house, and wait by teh door, snickering.

Sounds like my X wife. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

--They also pull hair, bite, chase you, come to look for you at your house, and wait by teh door, snickering.

The worst part of it is the terrible accent that they have when doing that all.

and I'm so tired of hearing "comrad...."

i just started having bees this spring i have not noticed any bad behavior yet. one met me at the screen door this morning she looked cold and lonely so i mixed a teaspoon of sugar water and gave her a sip she immediately perked up and flew back to the hive.
    i also talk to my girls all the time telling them how special they are and how they should save themselves for that someone special and not the first guy who shows up.
    im impressed with my russian girls and i wonder why they get a mean reputation

--she looked cold and lonely so i mixed a teaspoon of sugar water and gave her a sip she immediately perked up and flew back to the hive.

Russian bees perfer Vodka. [img]smile.gif[/img]

she's much too young fer vodka thats the other part of my litle talk

thanks Chuck. whew, I thought I was crazy.

The Russians are another strain of Carniolans, which I like. I don't have any Russians, but several of my friends do and note that they are very productive, although they like to swarm and can be aggressive.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

"The Russians are another strain of Carniolans, which I like."

Where have you derived this information from?
    There is always more than one way to skin a cat, that's of course if you're into eating cats.

I am running all Russians now. They do seem to be more aggressive than the Italians and Carniolans I have had in the past but they also seem much hardier. They do build up quickly and they work from Dawn to dusk any day that the temps are above 50 and it is not pouring buckets.
    In my area any strong colony produces lots of honey.
    It is what it is.

The Russians I had were head butters and would chase you, but they didn't pour out of the hive like hot bees do. Mine were average on production. Mine had varroa just as bad as the rest of the hives but survived it when the other hives crashed.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My russian hives seem to be a bit more aggressive than my other mixed bees, however they are also very good honey prducers. They winter well and have not swarmed half as much as my other bees. I plan to add more russians to my overall mix.

I would say, overall, that the Russians that I've had weren't really any better producers than any other strain. However, the Russians tend to shut down brood-rearing really quickly in a period of little or no nectar flow, so preserve what they have stored better than Italians in the same conditions. Overall, I'd say that they probably produce somewhat less than the Italians, but use less of it, so you might come out ahead.

I think Michael's, "It depends. . .," fits really well here.

I have run Russians for several years now (about 5 hives). I have seen boomers and and I have seen the 'slow to build-up'. And yes, they do head butt, but that does not hurt like a sting.

So , why tear down a booming hive!?? Was this just an expiriment, or were you looking to improve production/genetics?
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

Qestion: So , why tear down a booming hive!??

Answer: "They also pull hair, bite, chase you, come to look for you at your house, and wait by teh door, snickering..... they decided to kill me and eat me. .....So, today, because I have 2 kids and one on the way.....

I'll stop there.

And they said " Commrade, you must provide more than this insipid sweet juice. Ve vant red blooded amerikan meat!"

duplicate post. message deleted.

[size="1"][ June 01, 2006, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: admiral_d ][/size]

In response to the "The Russians are another strain of Carniolans, which I like.", they are actually Macedonians. Here is the link where it is talked about.

http://www.beeculture.com/storycms/i...y&recordID=207

Pugs

an update on this queen - I placed here in "austere conditions" which means a leaky nuc (wind, sun, robbing) and with a few nurse bees, and with foundation and partially drawn white wax comb. She started laying in comb that was only partially drawn out, and her workers continued drawing that comb she had laid in. unstoppable - and she had me chuckling at her will to keep going. Her workers were so busy drawing wax they did not attack me like the large hive did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast