Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

>Ok George you got me on the Lobster, can’t say about the tourist?

Tourists? in Michigan? Come on, Maine is synonymous with "Vacation Land", it's on our license plates. We've even got different names for `em depending on where they come from- massholes from Massachusetts, summer complaints from New York, and New Jersey, blueheads from Florida, flatlanders for everyone else who's from "away".

We're so indoctrinated into the concept of vacations, even local folks have someplace to go for a while during the summer, no matter how poor they are. Sometimes it's just a parking place near a boat ramp, typically referred to as "camp". Folks go "up to camp" regardless of which direction they go.
    Dulcius ex asperis

When we talk blueberrys we should distinguish between highbush and lowbush.

In the area we live right on Lake Michigan in the southwest corner of the state our population more than doubles in the summer. Tourist! Yes we have Tourist!
    Mobees: highbush, lowbush we have both. I prefer the lowbush for hand picking. I think the bees do too they donÂ’t have to fly as high to get to them
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Maine has exclusively wild (lowbush) blueberries except where highbush has been cultivated. The wild berries tend to be smaller and more flavorful, seems to me.

I guess tourists are inevitable wherever you go..
    Dulcius ex asperis

I would be curious on which are better
    nectar producers. The lowbush seem to be poor
    alot of the guys don't even bother supering
    since the bees are usually just getting enough
    to make it or less. A friend said he puts a few supers on and gets a little but the hives have
    be feed when they come off the barrens. There is
    a lot of talk about. I will know more first hand
    in june.

They don't super them here where I live Mo, they arrive in early to mid-May usually in 1 deep and 1 medium or shallow. The general concensus is that blueberries are a wash and if they come off blueberries as heavy as they went in, you're lucky. A few folks sell blueberry honey, and I got a little (a couple of shallow frames) of it off the migratory hives I got last summer but I suspect to get honey off them, you need some over-wintered hives that have already built up well by the time the bloom starts.

Typically the weather during blueberry bloom is cold and wet. Last spring, it rained 27 days in May and the first half of June wasn't much better.
    Dulcius ex asperis

I have about 8 blueberry bushes in my front yard. I used to have my beehives amongst them, but my wife insisted they be moved. My honeybees will work the blueberries, but the main bees are bumblebee-types.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

When we talk blueberrys we should distinguish between highbush and lowbush.

And don't forget rabbit eye, honey bees will work rabbit eye. And Beegee that may well be what you have in NC. Tiffblue, powder blue, linda to name a few.
    GeeB
    Life must be lived forward but understood backwards.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123