kookaburra Guest

Is there an appearance difference between Emergency and Supercedure cells?

Does supercedure affect a splits willingness to accept an introduced queen (all visible cells removed first)?
    ---------------------
    An aquaintance gave me some brood frames to start a nuc with, I had a queen. The frames he gave me hand supercedure cells on, I didn't think that was such a great idea, both for his hive or my new one. But since he has 20yrs experience on me, I just went along with it. Day after getting them I sprayed them down with HBH and put the queen in (caged). Three days later she's gone, and there are 3 small capped queen cells. (smaller than the supercedure cells, not as well defined, stick out funnier, but definately not drone or worker).

Hopefully my laying workers take the supercedure cells that I cut out of the split, but I can't tell since they are down between frames and they combed them in.

Thanks, Rick

>Is there an appearance difference between Emergency and Supercedure cells?

Emergency cells are most anywhere. From my experience, I'd say supercedure cells are usually about 2/3 of the way up the comb and not right on the edge.

>Does supercedure affect a splits willingness to accept an introduced queen (all visible cells removed first)?

Basically a hive with queen cells and no queen is, from their point of view, sort of queenright. They are not looking for a queen. You may need to wait a day or two after removing the cells.

>An aquaintance gave me some brood frames to start a nuc with, I had a queen. The frames he gave me hand supercedure cells on, I didn't think that was such a great idea, both for his hive or my new one. But since he has 20yrs experience on me, I just went along with it. Day after getting them I sprayed them down with HBH and put the queen in (caged).

And removed the supercedure cells?

>Three days later she's gone, and there are 3 small capped queen cells. (smaller than the supercedure cells, not as well defined, stick out funnier, but definately not drone or worker).

Drone cells can stick out quite oddly at times. But they are still basically horizontal and not hanging down to a point. Sometimes, though, they make you think they must be something else. But sometimes a queen cell is quite small too. But the end of the queen cell always points down.

Are you sure the queen isn't there and you just didn't see her? Or another queen there, but she hasn't mated yet?

>Hopefully my laying workers take the supercedure cells that I cut out of the split, but I can't tell since they are down between frames and they combed them in.

If they combed it it, that's a good sign.