Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bee talk

I think it is sad that this generation of kids for the most part don't get a chance to learn about bees and some of the other simple, but complex critters out there. Being the mother of 3 I have to say that my children are nuts about our 4 hives. My 5 year old can talk someones ear off about how the hive works and how to put the equipment together. Both our boys will sit right next to the hive and watch the bees coming and going for sometimes 30 min. just chattering away about the bees. I have had friends that think my kids must constantly get stung, but they have not been so far! Most folks think of yellow jackets when I mention bees.
    Thanks to all of you who are willing to go out and give 'bee' talks!
    Bee Happy!<br />Lori<br /><br />\"You know, You never can tell with bees\". (Winnie The Pooh)

Lori,

What part of Oregon is Cheshire in? I've never heard of it.

Pugs

Pugs,
    Cheshire is 12 miles west of Junction City and 20 miles northwest of Eugene. It is about 2 hours from Salem. Cheshire is one of those little places that if you blink while driving through you would miss it!!

Lori
    Bee Happy!<br />Lori<br /><br />\"You know, You never can tell with bees\". (Winnie The Pooh)

Thanks Lori,

That is an area I've never driven through. My parents used to live (if you can call it that) in Klamath Falls, and I have friends in Rogue River. So I've driven the I-5 coridor quite a bit and out of Eugene to 58 to 97 to K. Falls. I've never been in Junction City or Chesire though. I'll have to try the back roads more often.

Pugs

Lori: Do you have a bee club in your area? I am living in Eugene and I am astonished by how big the bee club is here and they are great. You should check it out. Let me know if you want more info on it. You should come to the next meeting.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Hi Chef,
    Yes, I joined the Lane County Beekeepers Asso. last October and have made about 5 of the meetings
    so far. Hope to make it to the meeting in May. I have learned a lot from some of the folks there!
    You will know me if I am there, I am the only one that is 9 months pregnant!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Lori

What would work would be a Bee Bus/ bee exhibit. The bus drives up to the schools (paid visits!) or schools visit the exhibit, and only those kids who have had permission slips signed by parents enter the bus/exhibit. Inside the bus is the beekeeper's bee exhibit, and the observation hive could be set up behind a netted area if anyone is worried about escaped bees (double insurance for the beekeeper). I don't know what is the matter with an observation hive, however, as we have farm shows and dairy days around here, and no one is ever worried about bee stings. If the bee bus had a very high quality exhibit, schools would be glad to pay to have the exhibit made available to their students. Check your state educationals standards and make sure the exhibit offers opportunities for the students to meet the standards, and this new business will be golden.
    GreenMountainRose