Our local TV news station had a report yesterday on one of Vermont's largest apiaries. It said that the apiary had lost half of its hives to mites this past winter, and they are going to be treating their bees with "a special oil."

I suppose this is FGMO...maybe with thymol(?). That's not a question, though. I do wonder why they wouldn't just name what the special oil is? Some ideas come to mind as the answer:

a.) the news station didn't understand what it is
    b.) the news station didn't think the public could understand what it is
    c.) the apiary didn't tell the news media because it was protecting a business secret
    d.) the apiary didn't tell the news media because it didn't want to bring public attention to the fact that they have begun to treat their hives with a foreign substance.
    e.) the apiary didn't want to advertise the fact that they are using FGMO, which is not yet an "approved" method of treating mites.

I think I remember reading something about this apiary that they did not treat their hives with chemicals, so I don't think chemical resistance was a factor with this apiary. So let me ask this: Is FGMO something that beekeepers can talk freely about, or does it need to be used secretively so as to not draw attention from the regulatory authorities toward individual apiaries? Is it an issue?
    GreenMountainRose

if the apiary is the largest in the state I am sure steve parise( state inspector) is aware of what they are doing or will be soon. you can email him directly through the dept of agriculture web site he does respond to emails. very nice guy willing to help if you have a problem or just questions.
    Stuart

What was presented by a representative of the Kansas Dept of Agriculture at the Kansas Honey Producers Asociation basically said you can use alternative things as a pesticide if:

1) It does not contaminate your product.

2) It it is not labled as a pesticide. If it IS labled as a pesticide then you are required by law to follow the lable.

For straight FGMO which is already food grade and which, according to Dr. Rodriguez leaves NO detectable residue, this should not be a problem.

For something like Thymol, which in the form of ApiLife Var IS approved as an insecticide, I suppose it's more complicated.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF