Thread: Melting wax

What is the best way to melt about fifty pounds of uncappings wax. I have no sophisticated tools for this.

If it's just a one time shot it's probably not worth building a solar wax melter. But if you follow my suggestions and burn down yoor house then the above is retracted.

That's not much of a joke. There's not a lot of difference between the melting temp and the flaming temp of beewax. Be extra careful.

I would use either a double boiler or a slow cooker. Is it clean? Does it need to be? Why are you melting it?

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Novato (25 miles north of San Francisco), California

Hey Buzzyjosh,

My first time on Bee Forum...I usually reside on 101, as I am entirely new. That being said, I wanted to share my info.

Last weekend I built a solar melter. The plans came from a link on this site. It took me two days. It would have taken one, but I didn't have the paint or glass on hand. A pretty simple project. A lot less expensive than buying a new house.

By the way, I don't have a lot of fancy tools. Just a table saw, handheld jigsaw, and handheld drill. No problems.

Good luck.

DG
    A community thrives when people plant trees under which they will never sit.