Hi All,

Having had some training in JIT (Just In Time) theory. I was wondering if anybody out there had done extracting at the apiary location? It seems a waste in some ways to load the supers into the truck, drive unload them, extract, put them back to let the bees clean them up and them remove them for winter storage.

Thanks,

Greg

I believe there are some migratory beekeepers who do that. Here's a discusssion of the idea of a portable extractor in general:
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000485.html

Wink

If you already had a covered trailer I think it would be a great idea to go ahead and extract at your apiary but if not think it would be a little pricey to get going that way. If you had enough hives to make it worth your while or just have an unlimited source of income and feel like spending it on that kind of thing, go ahead. For myself my apiary is at the edge of my yard and I don't mind tossing them in a cart and hauling them into the shop and then back again for clean up. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I think one of the more useful purposes would be for a club or for a servic. Where you either provided the service for the migratory beekeepers or your club had an extractor that could be taken from place to place. Of course you'd have to find a good price on used equipment, particularly the trailer, to every be worthwhile.

would be costly,Gen. for power-ect/ hot water with out it would be a mess to kelp clean.>>>>>>Mark

Grettings,

It's done routinely in Australia with Langstroth equipment. Often very long distances are involved and mobile extraction is the most economic.

In parts of Europe and Russia, long hives and cabinet hives are used. They are often housed in a vandal/pest proof house or bus(migratory) with extraction taking place there.

It seems very practical when working with top bar hives to perform any necessary processing on site rather than handling the harvest comb more than once. Although the combs aren't extracted they could be maserated, squeezed, rolled or pressed on site to seperate the honey from the wax.

This could provide a savings in labor and fuel costs. Gravity and time could be employed instead. That is if you've got lots of gravity and time :> ) Perfect for the sideliner or hobbyist.

Regards
    Dennis

[This message has been edited by BWrangler (edited May 24, 2003).]