Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is there any more news on what happened in Crestline? When I wrote to the Crestline Advocate on July 14th the editor responded with:

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>

Thanks for writing. We will publish your letter, along with all the other
    pro-bee letters, in our next edition, Wed. July 21.

Current score: Honeybees 150, Crestline City Council 0

Kim Ross-Polito, Editor
    ============================
    The Crestline Advocate
    P.O. Box 226, 312 N Seltzer St
    Crestline OH 44827
    Tel 419-683-3355
    Fax 419-683-0175
    crestlineadvocate@bright.net
    Member - Ohio Newspaper Association
    Member - National Newspaper Association

<<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<

My letter to the editor was:

To the Editor:

It is with amazement that I have been following the saga of the City of
    Crestline's poorly thought out attempt to outlaw beekeeping within city
    limits. The beekeeper at whom this law is targeted has proved to be a
    responsible beekeeper and seems more than willing to work with the city to
    place his bees in a location further from the resident who made the initial
    complaint.

Statistics show that the odds of being stung and dying from a stinging insect
    (most often not a honeybee) is about 0.4/million annually in the
    United States. If the city is concerned about the safety and well-being of
    its residents it may consider outlawing the following within city limits:

1. Fast food joints - odds of dying from heart disease each year 2,800 per
    million
    2. Motor vehicles - odds of dying each year 1,750/million
    3. Smoking - odds of dying each year 1,600/million
    4. Firearms - odds of dying each year 130/million
    5. Bicycling - odds of dying each year 2.7/million

Many cities and towns have well-thought out ordinances that allow beekeepers
    to keep bees within city limits because they are cities that do not fall prey
    to wild-eyed hysteria. One could only hope that Crestline will come to its
    senses soon.

------------------
    Bees By The Bay

City Council meets tonight (Monday, July 26)
    I Post what I hear as soon as I hear something.

Back to committee! The ordinance was not passed and it was not dropped, but sent back to committee. I like to be positive and see it as a chance for them to rework the ordinance to a reasonable ordinance. I will keep people posted as I hear more.

Now's your chance and you must work quickly. Try to get on the committee. Or, provide reasonbable legislation from other jurisdictions. Try to review the committee's work before it is proposed to the Council again. Make a low level committee's work easier by spoon feeding them the information you want them to know. Make their job easier for them. I have seen proposed legislation that has terrible grammer, misspellings, and obvious ambiguities (sp?) that low level bureaucrats refuse to change because pride of authorship (huh?) and laziness. Then the City accepts the work because they feel they must "support" the committee. This will not be an easy task because City Staff sometimes will be suspecious (sp?) and might not want your input because, sometimes, it means more work for them because they then know they will have to get it right. (Always, always, always smile to the Staff and be friendly. You will catch more bees with honey than vineger.) Good luck.

Here is what Tulsa uses.
    15. Harbor, keep or possess domestic honeybees otherwise permitted by this chapter unless the bees are maintained as follows:

a. No more than four (4) hives shall be maintained for each one-quarter acre
    or less of lot size on any lot; and

b. No hive shall be maintained within twenty (20) feet of any lot line of the lot on which said hive is located; and

c. Between each hive and the neighboring lot in the direction of the hive entrance the hive owner shall maintain a hedge or a screening fence of at least six (6) feet in height, to be located within twenty (20) feet of such lot line, and to extend the entire length of such lot line; and

d. A supply of clean water must be furnished within twenty (20) feet of each hive at all times between March 1 and October 31 of each year; and

e. Hive owners shall inspect each hive not less than four (4) times between March 1 and October 31 of each year. A written record including the date of each such inspection shall be maintained by the owner and shall be made available to the Chief of Police upon request.

f. Any commercial use of the property on which bees are maintained shall be conducted in accordance with Title 42.

Hive shall mean a manmade home for bees which includes one or more boxes containing removable frames for rearing young bees, a queen excluder, one or more boxes with removable frames for honey storage, an inner cover and a top cover, all of which are set on a hive stand.

Here is the link: http://www.tulsa-animalshelter.com/city.htm#CHAPTER%202

The changes I would suggest are as follows:

b. No hive shall be maintained within twenty (20) feet of any lot line of the lot on which said hive is located, unless the hive is facing away from said lot line and lot line has a 6 foot fence or screen then the minimum distance shall be five (5) feet.

d. A supply of clean water must be furnished within fifty (50) feet and line of sight of each hive. (This gives you more options on how to supply the water. A simple bucket under a dripping faucet. I have found that bees don’t use water that close.)

e. Drop this section unless your state requires it. Oklahoma does not require it.

I would also think about adding a section about a reasonable amount of time to remove a captured swarm if the swarm sent him over the hive limit. Ten days would give the beekeeper a chance to relocate the swarm or to find someone to purchase it. This would be better than letting the swarm go since it may end up in someone’s attic. I do have mixed feelings about trying to add it though because it mentions swarms. Oh my g-d! swarming killer bees if you know what I mean.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by magnet-man (edited July 28, 2004).]

Aurora handles the swarm management issue with the following section

Chapter 14, Section 14-15(h)(2)
    For each two colonies authorized under colony densities, subsection (h)(1) above, there may be maintained upon the same tract one nucleus colony in a hive structure not exceeding one standard 9 5/8 inch depth ten frame hive body with no supers attached as required from time to time for management of swarms. Each such nucleus colony shall be disposed of or combined with an authorized colony within 30 days after the date it is acquired.

I really like this little section. It took a little explaining of what a "nucleus colony" was to get them to keep the section, but the explanation of it being a mini-beehive and that swarm management meant not only catching swarms also PREVENTING swarms by having a temporary mini-hive satisfied the committee on the importance of the section.

I also really like the definition of a hive in our ordinance:

(b) Hives. All bee colonies shall be kept in inspectable type hives with removable combs, which shall be kept in sound and usable condition.

Much simpler definition that allows for topbar hives, observation hive and any alternative or experimental hive as long as the comb is removable and inspectible.

Greetings Everyone,

I have sent an 'editorial' to the newspaper link. The content was similar to the one sent when Tom was battling the same problem.

Now, I would like to raise a few questions. I don't want to start a flame war. I am not a gender bigot but think some interesting cultural mores are in action here.

But does anyone know of an instance where an allergic man has approached the city fathers and requested banning bees? My experience is limited in this matter. I would think that men have about the same chance of being allergic as women. Why does the allergic woman seem to get the press and the anti-bee ordinance from the city fathers?

If this is true could it be due to the way we raise our children? Could these same attitudes be carried into adulthood?

How would an allergic man feel about himself approaching the city counsel deathly afraid of bees. How would the city counsel react to a man in that situation? Would there be laughter in the gallery?

Same situation, different gender. What would the perception and reactions be?

Regards
    Dennis
    Wondering why men afraid of bees are so quiet and women afraid of bees are so vocal

Hi Dennis,

Actually I don't think the "gender" of the person who "complained" in Crestline. Having talked to David Duncan, he says there has been no record of who actually complained, and he questions if anyone did complain or if the saftey director or someone else just fabricated the complaint in order to justify the ban. There have been several incidences where the gender has been known and it does seem that the females are much more vocal then the males.

Heard tonight the Crestline City Council has decided to drop the ban. Thank you to all who wrote in support of Dave Duncan and his beekeeping.

I'm glad to hear it.

ALRIGHT>>>>>>>>>now is the time to get an ordanance like Aurora CO in place to keep this from becoming an issue again.....Good luck and I hope my letters helped too....

------------------
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Heard tonight the Crestline City Council has decided to drop the ban. Thank you to all who wrote in support of Dave Duncan and his beekeeping.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well done, Tom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12