Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hey all you notherners, I was just wondeirng how strong you guy's hives are right now. Our hives are at about 4 frames of brood. Seems a little weak to me for this time of year. They were building up nice and stuff but then it seems like they just kinda slowed down a week and a half ago.
    This is the first week of weather in the 60's so im hoping that will give them the push. We have 50 queens coming in a week and a half, so if i make a four frame splite hey! there wont be anything left in the parent lol. regards Nick

I haven't actually pulled any frames yet, it's early yet. April can be a cruel month in Maine, I've seen snow storms in about this time in past years, and sometimes May isn't much better. Our official "last frost" date is May 30.

They're just now bringing in pollen. They've been foraging for a month but there wasn't much to collect until about a week ago. They're building up well from what I've seen peering under the lids. I'm going to install some screened bottoms on the rest of the hives this weekend, if the weather's nice enough I'll be taking a closer look. I don't expect to be making splits until the end of May. I haven't seen any drones yet.

[size="1"][ April 13, 2006, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: George Fergusson ][/size]
    Dulcius ex asperis

One "yellow" looking hive is really booming, but I think they got some Italian blood and characteristics. The rest are futhre along than the ferals normally are this time of year, but that's still probably four to eight frames of brood now. Normally they'd have a handful of bees and just now start building up.

With the ferals or the Carnis, I seldom have a really good population until about May Day but they build up quickly after the first real bloom, which is usually the middle of April.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Nick
    The ones I have looked at sound like yours
    Ed
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I'm in George's boat here, except there is no pollen even coming in yet. Hard to believe that North Dakota is the #2 honey producing state sometimes. When it flows, it flows!!

Bruce, that's sometimes #2, usually #1 in honey production (4 of the last 6 years if memory serves me correct).

Although I am definitely a "northerner" I really can't comment on the condition of my bees as compared to rest of you as they are enroute as I write this from "sunny" California.
    Gregg Stewart

>Hard to believe that North Dakota is the #2 honey producing state sometimes.

Yea. On bees wintered in Texas and California.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

well, most my colonies are averaging 8 to 9 frames now and that even been from taking from the strong one and giving to the less fortunate, some of my doubles have 11 to 12 frames of brood (there's going to be population explosions in those hives. most of my colonies were singles coming in to the spring and becuase i like the doubl brood nest i've been supering them up but the only thing i can give them is foundation. so i've fed syrup, pollen patties, stealing brood from strong ones and giving to the weaker ones and replacing with foundation and trying to acumelate as much drawn comb as possible so that when i hand out the foundation supers i can have 3 bait frames in there.

if i was in your shoes swarmtrapper, i'de probaby just split what i have down the middle, keep the parent queen in one and introduce new queen to the other. something else that helps out is (if you have excluders to do this) set up double queens to get them built up faster, don't forget to feed them pollen patties, if no pollen is coming in they need that protein to grow, it makes the difference having a so-so hive and a kick @$$ hive.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I just did a rampage thru my hive changing it from a non-standard ( DE ) hive to standard and found 5 to 6 frames that had brood on 2 levels. It got cold fast while I was working on them in the late afternoon and I'm afraid I might have chilled a lot of them.
    30 Miles north of Toronto, Ontario.
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

Hi Nick
    I have checked 4 of my hives so far and it was 50-50 One hive had 10 frames of brood this hive is on medeums.The other 3 are on deeps.the best of the 3 had 6 frames of brood the other 3 only 3frames.What i founds so far looks normal to me for this time of the year. I have 3 more to check out this weekend. I am hopeing to find more strong hives.I want to boost my 6 mew packages with some brood frames
    Mitch KD8IMF

Nick,

I have 3 hives in NE Ohio with varied strengths in each. I did a full inspection last weekend.

One hive only has about 3 deep frames of bees and no brood - I saw the queen but she must be failing. I might try to requeen this one next week.
    The second has one deep super with about 7 frames of brood covered with bees and a second deep where they are putting up pollen.
    The third has about 12 deep frames of brood and both deeps covered in bees. I should be able to split soon on this one.
    I started feeding pollen sub and syrup on March 12th so they got a little bit of a jump start.

With this kind of mild weather now and the abundant pollen available, your colonies should have a lot more brood in a week and a half. Hope it works out for you.
    Mike
    To everything there is a season....

Here in cold Canada the girls have been "haulin pollen" for two weeks from the Poplars but I have been feeding syrup. The Maples should open by Sunday ( I hope ) and I quit feeding. I do not even unwrap until the temps maintain 60 degrees constantly. I don't split until the drones are girlhunting. Here it is usually too cold to split till the end of May.
    sterlingc

We had record heat here today. I had two thermometers that agreed on 84 degrees at about 5pm. Normal for this time of year is more like mid 50s. The big Acer rubrum in my front yard popped and the bees are all over it.

I checked a week and a half ago and found an average of only about a quarter to a half frame of brood, but they are carnies and I haven't used any pollen patties or light syrup -- I'm just letting them get by with what they stored last fall. I'll check them again this weekend. I expect with the heat and newly available blooms they will have made some real progress.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

yea well that puts my mind to ease lol. They just started hauling the pollen in this week. I put pollen paties on them the first of march and they built up but; then kinda stayed where they are now. Guess ill check them on saterday and see how they bee. Nick

busybguy....... Are maples (acer) a source of nectar?? Or just for pollen?

The only maples I have here are Boxelder.

My hives havs between 4 to 6 frames of brood and 1 to 2 frames of capped brood the bees have been bringing in pollen for 2 weeks and today we saw bees on the early blooming flowers. The Multa-flora-rose just started to bloom today and was loaded with bees. The hives seem to be starting to go into overdrive and we expect the apples to start blooming within 2 weeks. We have not seen any drones yet this year so we will wait before trying to raise queens to divide the hives
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Mine has 2 frames of capped brood and 2 frames of larvae.

We checked our hives March 30th. and all made it through the winter. We have feed twice since then and added patties. They are all very strong.Last inpection was a week ago. There was lots of brood. Hives are still wrapped. We are should see red willow flowering in a few days. It has been warm here and they should be the first thing to bloom. Ten more packages arrive from Australia on Monday

Poplars are just about to come out, the bees have been busy bringing in soyflour. Already cleaned up what I set out!!

Bees looking good. Going to make splits next week as the queens arive.

What do my bees look like for strength? Well, Id say 75% of them are working two boxes, and the rest will not be splittable, maintaining just the upper chamber.

Hey, just to note, my wintering losses were great this year. 14% loss. Most losses were assesed as starved hives, thinking due to our very mild winter. Had to feed right away as I unwrapped many of the bigger hives.

[size="1"][ April 14, 2006, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Ian ][/size]
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Sundance -----Maples are my Godsend. They are the first nectar source here until the dandelion. Did a check today and any Maples growing close to a large body of water are in full bloom. The girls were sucking sap off a neighbor's maple firewood pile last week. Not good. Neighbor was chasing them with raid. He wanted to split the wood and did not realize the "wasps" were bees.
    sterlingc