I am purchasing 4 already set up hives from a beekeeper that is getting out of the business. He said his bees were All-American. What exactly is that bee like, I've not seen that name listed before. Curious, is it a type of feral bee?

THE WEAVER ALL-AMERICAN BEE (ITALIAN BREED)

http://www.rweaver.com/all.html

Terry

Very interesting web page. He said the bees are very gentle and easy to work with as long as you don't mash one accidentally. He really talked highly of these bees but I just figured it was because he was selling them. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I took my beginner's course with Benford Weaver. He is a charming man. His son is very educated and is in the current research to identify the bee genome.

I ordered my first replacement queens from them. They were All American. I don't remember the root-stock race that they used for developing the All American. At the time, as an inexperience beekeeper, I'm not sure why I went through a lot of queens. During the class, I worked all day without a veil as do the Weavers, typically. And I had my own bees to behave that way. One hive let me mow up to it without problems, even at the entrance. However, another hive got hotter and woudn't let me within 20 feet with the mower. Since I didn't keep records at the time (one flaw of beginner keepers), I don't know which hives were on the first generation All Americans and which were on 2nd or 3rd.

I don't know if I've helped you any. I just know the Weavers are sincere people dedicated to providing quality and improving quality. But by keeping good records, you'll be able to advise us in the near future.
    WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote

I too had the privilage of meeting Binford at the 1997 ABF Convention in Norfolk (nafock for area natives) He is an exceptional man. We order our Buckfast queens from him. One of my frineds who runs about 60 hives ordered the All Americans from him last year. They advised us they are there own mix, nothing specific breed wise. Since the hives are open mated and they have some Italian background they are a generic cross bestween their Italian stock and buckfast bees most likely. The buckfast line clearly out performed the All Americans last year. I don't know that is related to the bees as much as the difference in our managment techniques. Wintered well.

The All Americans I've had were, judging by behavior and color, good Italian bees. In a Northern climate I've had better production with their Buckfasts. But since some of the Buckfasts went ballistic on me I haven't had any of their queens. I had good luck with Weaver queens for 28 years and Weavers always treated me well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks all, and waya I got the message and already have my record book handy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cool

Hey!
    Where and who ar you getting these bees from?
    Come on Dave - share

your fellow homeschooling beekeeper,
    Martha
    Martha

LOL Martha