I have not seen a single yellow jacket in a couple of months!! Normally they are all over the mulch pile, fruit trees and last year even robbingone of my weak hives.

Has anyone else notices they were missing? I know they are not bother by the mites but this is strange - not that I want them back .

I saw one yesterday and thought to myself, that was the first I had seen all summer.

We here in Central NY have had wet, cold weather. This affects the wasps. I know they are having a hard time here. We have been getting rain almost everyday. It STINKS! I have no honey, my garden, if you want to call it that, has some tomatos but noting is coming in. HAAAAAA!
    Dan

Well, you're lucky. I've just noticed a huge nest under my eaves. Too big for me to mess with so the pest man is coming tomorrow. I could have spent that $100 on bee stuff, darn it.

I'm planning on setting up two hives next spring. My first go at beekeeping. I just hope my neighbor who's allergic doesn't complain too much. She already hates my cat cuz it figured out how to open her locked cat door. He likes to sleep on her sewing. Especially when it is black velvet.

Pugs

Odd. We have more yellow jackets and wasps than ever. Hardly used to see them at all, now they're everywhere.

Coyote, Where are you from?

[This message has been edited by JReece (edited July 27, 2004).]

This is a bumper crop year for YJ's in our neck of the woods. Eliminating one large nest hasn't even put a dent in the population here in SW Oregon

------------------
    the ~ox-{ at www.singingfalls.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Coyote, Where are you from?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The northwest corner of New Mexico. Farmington.

well three from the East have no YJ and 3 from the West have a ton of em.
    Thats great. Just don't send them back this way.

Here's one for you, I got a swarm call down in Denver Pa, and th eowner said the bees are very loud inside his bedroom wall, there are thousands of them keeping him up at night. Pest control guy came and left, saying he wasn't allowed to kill honeybees, call the beekeeper (me). Long story short, I went down, found a HUGE yellowjacket nest in the attic that looked like it went all the way down the full length of the wall between 2 studs. Got out of there fast! That's 2 swarm calls this season out of 2 that were worthless. We have more YJs than ever. Got attacked on a farm tractor last weekend where a big nest wasn't apparent till the engine started. Friend who started it got a fat lip for his efforts. Funny now but he wasn't laughing at the time (we were though around the corner of the barn

Cheers

Hi all,

There's an article in the local paper today about how bad the YJ are this year here in Oregon. Seems the mild winter and spring didn't kill off enough queens. Ruhl in Portland has dealt with over 1,200 calls for YJ. Usually this time of year they've only had 500 - 600 calls.

Whatever the people used on the nest under my eaves, it sure worked fast. 1 day and no sign of 'em.

Pugs

"Whatever the people used on the nest under my eaves, it sure worked fast. 1 day and no sign of 'em."

Sounds like an exterminator that knows how to stay in business. The original customer is happy that the problem is solved quickly with no mess. And the neighbors will get a good referral when they find nests under their own eaves.

A Bee Vac works well on wasps too. If the inner container is small enough to fit in a freezer it makes them easier to handle. I usually grind them down the disposal to guarantee they won't thaw out and come back to life. There may also be a market for large quantities of fresh frozen wasps.

I've been setting raw meat under my homemade YJ trap. Yesterday I thought I'd add some YJ pheromone. No lie, I caught over 1,000 !!! The wife came home last evening from bringing in the angora goats with welts all over both arms. She stumbled on to a YJ nest in the field.
    BTW, not as many in the trap today but still nothing to feel bad about it. I'm catching them! and my bees are happy about it. I can tell So's my wife.

------------------

Where do you get YJ phenerome.
    Gary

We've got plenty of YJs here. I got nailed again yesterday while I mowed the lawn. My hand looks like a balloon right now.

It is sold in hardware stores and the like locally in the USA along with YJ traps. The Pheromone can be purchased seperately to recharge the trap. My homemade trap works better than the commercial version so I just buy the pheromones.

------------------

Not many YJ's around Atlanta either this year, thankfully. The ones I do see seem to be a lot smaller than normal, too.