Thread: Painting Hives

Question

I've always painted my hives with a primer and white latex paint. My wife would like to use another color than white. Whats another good color. Need something that dont draw to much heat for sure......

Gee, let's see. What's another color besides white that that doesn't draw heat. Beige maybe. lime green. sky blue. light yellow.

Another reason to use different colors is to lessen drifting. fifteen hives the same color is bound confuse some bees.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

I go to the mis-tinted bargain section of the paint store and select from what they have. I especially like to use the lighter colored siding stains. It gives more of a wooden look. Of course that means no primer.
    GeeB
    Life must be lived forward but understood backwards.

I painted all of mine coyote brown. They blend in so nobody takes notice anymore. They still reflect some heat in summer, and soak up a little warmth in winter.

I painted all of mine coyote brown
    You obviously have exquisite taste. I'll bet they're gorgeous.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

My NYC rooftop Celebri-Bees are hived in abodes painted in (haha) Benjamin Moore "Sidewalk Gray" exterior latex. I primed 'em first with Benjamin Moore exterior latex primer.
    I (heart) Honeybees

Coyote, I am sure the comparisions stopped at "blend in so nobody takes notice". I am sure you never blended in....

I have bright red, white, blue pluse gray, and other grayish colors from mismatched paints. They all seem to work fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

At the present time our hives are mostly camoflauge, yes they are mostly white!!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I have yellow, blue, forest green, purple, etc. The forest green seem to do as well as the yellow. The secret to heat management is a top vent.

One time I mixed some leftover red with some leftover white.....I am still trying to live it down.

LOL pink hives sound cool!! My mom painted up a hive for my dad. The yellow doesn't give us any problems with heat. The girl in the pictures is a friend of mine who'd never been around bees before. She insisted on a suit, but absolutely fell in love with the bees after working with them a little. You can't see the total hive that my mom painted, but it gives you the general idea. She's got a picket fence and birdhouses on there...

http://photobucket.com/albums/c30/alphakilo97/
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

Very cheerful pictures...especially in the midst of winter.

Thanks for all the replies I think she going with light tan or some earth tone color .......

I paint my hives white.
    Nucs are painted assorted colors to keep queen loss down. Most are earth tone colors.

I also go to the paint stores and ask to check out the mis-tint pile. I get gallons of duron premium outdoor paint for $4 each. Home depot charges $5 and Sherwin Williams charges $6. I buy most of paint at duron.

And if you do paint two coats, use the really bad colors for the first coat and then use your good colors for the second.