Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Jason G in Tennessee Guest

    Question

    Has anyone ever used vinegar steam pumped into the entrance to help rid the bees of mites?
    I read about it in the last Bee Journal I think.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,262

    Post

    Steam? Steam is hot, isn't it?

    The moisture might do damage, I would think.

    This does not compute.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Medford Lakes,NJ,USA
    Posts
    94

    Cool

    I have heard of the process....but...don't know anyone who has tried it. They are using formic acid...why not acetic acid (vinegar). Now the only problem is should it be introduced by steam.....FGMO style? Steve

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,208

    Post

    I wouldn't try it unless you can find some study to support it and some specifics on how to administer it. Any organic acid such as formic, oxalic or even acetic is lethal to bees if it is too strong or too much.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lake county, Indiana 46408-4109
    Posts
    3,538

    Post

    I have talked to one BK that has the machine that blows the steam into the entrance and he swares by it but the way he talked it was the cure for everything but I think the jury is still out that is a lot of money to spend on something that is not realy proven?
    I also met another guy that was doing the same thing with the Burgess foger and he clamed great results so who knowes what works for one does not always work for another

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    brown county,indiana,usa
    Posts
    571

    Question

    i've tried vinegar steam using a modified cappuchino steamer,no noticable effect with regular household vinegar,which is about 5% acetic acid,i've read that at @ 30%, the acetic acid affects the mite's exoskeleton and they die off,not sure if this has a noticable mite drop from this method,i've heard it is more gradual and so some people assume it's not effective.i don't know for sure.i've found a photography shop that will sell me 100% acetic acid(apparently it's used in photo development some how),i've considered trying it after watering it down to 30%,haven't had enough time to do all my mad scientist stuff lately,will let you know if there are any new developments.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,208

    Post

    Yes any photo supply shop has stop bath which is fairly pure acetic acid which they then water down. It freezes at very high temps (don't remember off the top of my head but I'm thinking it's like 50 degrees) so don't store it anywhere where it gets cool.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads