Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who uses bee-go

Hybrid View

I have never used bee go before if you use it can you give me some insight. Does it change the flavor of the honey at all? I have heard the horror stories of spilling it in your car, basement and etc. But what about the honey if it does not come out of clothes does it effect the honey?

I appreciate you asking this question; I have been wondering about Bee-go also, but from a slightly different angle: I wonder if one were to use it for an extraction, say from a log or wall, can it be used to actually drive the queen off the brood comb and out of the hive?

i used last year
    according to the directions just make a X
    on the fume board .
    but i put too much on (according to directions .)
    i put the fume board on the tailgate of my pickup whilst i was putting the be-go on the fume board and somehow got some on my suit
    and it lingered in my suit for several weeks after.
    but i tasted the honey that evenin as i was extracting i couldnt taste any be-go
    in the honey .
    Zeke

I use Honey Robber from Mann Lake. I think it is the same as Bee Go with some stuff in it to make it smell less horrible. It works great. I have not noticed any transfer of the smell of the chemical to the taste or smell of the honey. I have found that it is very difficult to drive bees off of brood so I don't know if it will help you there.

------------------
    Rob Koss

Smile

I use Beego works great if it is hot enough but as already said DON`T get it on your cloths or in the truck! I know one BK that got some on his finger and ended up with a burn that was black and not noce to look at.
    It has been my experance that if there is brood on the frame they will not leave. I tried the other stuff Fishers I think smells a lot better but didn`t work as good.

honeyman: I use fisher'sBee-Quick.It smell's good & I have good luck with it.
    I don't use bee-go , so I cannot compare it.
    Also Bee-Quick Does not leave any taste in the honey.
    We use Bee-Quick when we remove bee's from the inside of homes because it don't smell bad, as far as making the queen leave the brood it may work,But I think you would have to spray it almost on top of her.>>>>MARK

I used Bee-Go about 12 years ago when I was working with my commercial beekeeper-friend. The biggest thing was not to use too much of it and use it on a hot day. Better to use a little and let the fume board stay on a little longer. Too much and the bees got agitated(more than normal, I guess). It is rank-smelling stuff.

Used both bee go and honey robber in the past before going biological methods. The stuff works fine. The heard that buyers were rejecting honey that had been harvested with these products as a smell was imparted to the honey (taste was fine). At the time I went to check out my own honey. I had to be honest with myself a hard thing to do at the time and I had to admit the smell was there. I decided to ditch the stuff as I don't want to ruin the wholesome reputation of honey for myself and others. To this day I still have supers with a very faint smell of honey robber.

Clay

I haven't used it, and I don't think I want to start. I'd like to know how I'd take honey from twenty hives without it?.......

There's always abandonment...

Smile

Daisy
    Beeblower.

I've had great luck with a screen with one-way exit valves. Of course I only have 3 hives and only harvested from 2. And our nights are getting much colder (50's) which I think also helps. But I put it on one hive late afternoon and by the next morning there were only a few stragglers.

Bee escapes. Brush. Abandonment. Blowers.

Thanks folks.

About that beeblower. Aren't they expensive?

Will a hair blower work?

About that hair blower.........

If it's not powerful enough, what if I put a piece of hose or something open meshed type of fabric over the air intake opening with beego on it? Think this would get the bees off and not overcome anything with odor?

Daisey,

I think you would ruin a good hair dryer. I'd really consider the bee brush- its cheap! Causes no contamination to hive or honey. Doesn't hurt the bees. Its no big deal to harvest 20 colonies by brush.

And aren't hair blowers hot?

Applying Bee-Go to a hair-dryer is the most hair-brained idea I have heard. Bee-Go is very safe and effective when, on a warm sunny day you apply some to a fume-board, place the fume board on the hive, wait a few minutes, remove a super of honey free from bees, and repeat.

Bee-Go is effective and safe when used carefully and as directed.

Smile

Greetings . . .

Maybe, if you sprinkled Bee-Go on a hot CURLING IRON, you could "FOG" them out.

Just a thought . . .
    Dave W

I am a Bee-Go user and won't attempt to rob without. I never have found the smell to linger. Get some on you - that's a different story!

Here's what I've been doing for years.
    1) Forget those fume boards you can buy.
    2) When you order take out pizza, save the box.
    3) Take an old super and cut it up into
    smaller "supers" of about 1.5" high.
    4)Staple the pizza box on the mini super
    and cut off the overhang. The 16" large pizza boxes fit great.
    5) Apply the bee-go and go rob the bees.
    6) When finshed, hose the cardboard off with water and throw it in the recycle bin.
    7) Save the mini supers for next year.

[This message has been edited by The Honey House (edited August 31, 2003).]