Thread: Almond article

Hmmm, that was interesting. It will sure be interesting to watch how it all plays out. If indeed there is a shortage this serason, I imagine almond growers will want access to Canadian or Mexican bees.

Jean-Marc

Heres another interesting article:
    http://www.beesource.com/POV/traynor/agnewsoct06.htm

Jean-Marc
    Too answer your question with a question.
    If Canadian bees were shiped to Calif?
    Could U.S.A. bees be shiped into Canadian honey fields?
    Or would Almond growers want A.H.B. from Mexco?

Marty:

If Canadian bees went to California I wouldn't mind U.S. bees in Canada. Other Canadian beekeepers would object for sure. I view it as a goo opportunity, others may not.

If I'm a grower I do not want A.H.B., but if that is all I can get then so be it. Does anybody have experience moving A.H.B. on this site? I mean loading them on a semi and driving 1 or 2 days. I don't think they would travel too well. I don't think it would be easy putting them on the truck. I mean if your veil has 5000 or more bees all trying to kill you it would as you can all imagine render the task very very difficult.

So again has anybody done this and if so, could you provide us with some details.

Jean-Marc

I expect the Mexicans would load em and bring em for a chance at a big payday.But the growers would be taking on a big liability with pissy bees that can boil out and sting everything in sight.Hives are frequently set next to roads during bloom-with little kids pedaling by on bikes.
    Canada would have to allow US hives and packages in IF they allowed their own hives to return .It couldnt be a one way street.Its not impossible-but would face lots of resistance on both sides of the border.

Another good article in today's Sunday New York TImes. While it is about thieves stealing almonds it has some great facts too:

Almonds have become such a cash cow, in fact, that some California farmers have switched to them from other crops like apricots, cotton, olives, peaches and prunes, according to the California Farm Bureau. In California, which produces 80 percent of the worldÂ’s almonds, the acreage devoted to them has increased by 13 percent over the last five years, with some 580,000 acres planted this year.

You may have to log on to get this article but it is free.

NY TImes ALmond article 10.8.2006