Thread: TIZ THE SEASON

Four swarms and one colony removal in three days. Yahoo! I will have that long trough hive filled in no time.

Swarm season for sure!I've caught 12 in the last 2 days(all from my hives).ALL my hives wimtered over in good shape,built up early on almonds,and now spring has come too early to the mountains.I think it means a drought year here.It hasnt rained in weeks.Just the opposite of last springs conditions.

Any feral swarms? Maybe it's too early to even expect them, but I'd like to hear that the wild guys are doing better at surviving the mites.

My father-in-law reported that he found a bee tree last year, but there are no bees there this Spring. Either he was wrong, or they didn't survive the Winter.

All of my hives that have swarmed were from feral captures last year. Lots of small swarms and small swarms caught in bait hives. Don't even cover two frames.

>Any feral swarms?

One swarm was from a large birdhouse colony. The birdhouse was the size of a nuc and and been there for a couple of years. I think it is going to swarm again, they are overflowing the entrance and just sit there. No coming and going, just bearded like they are waiting for another queen to take them away.

Smile

12 in 2 days that must be about a record.

>12 in 2 days that must be about a record.
    Mostly they came from one yard of 50 hives that were extremely strong for the time of year and were getting swarmy during almond bloom.I hoped they would hold till I got back to them but they had other plans.Spring came almost a month early here.Anyway,its a balancing act between keeping hives srong enough to gather spring honey yet not so crowded that they swarm.If they arent strong enough to swarm they arent strong enough to gather a crop so some swarming must be tolerated.They are all swarming low and are easily gathered.Funny how they use the same trees and bushes year after year.When I pull into a yard I know exactly which trees to look at first.

od I looked in all the hives that were swarms from last year thinking they would be swarmy but none of them were. I'm finding anything with Russian in it is getting ready to go(and a bit hostile)

The feral hive I brought home swarmed Friday. I went ahead and put them in a nuc. I have 10 colonies started. I am out of boxes and frames(a couple boxes are missing a few) so it is going to be a long weekend. I had an empty box sitting under a bush at the building I am removing hives from and caught a swarm in it. I do not know wether it came from one of the 2 that were still in the building at that time or from the mountain behind it. BTW anyone want a nuc? I need money for supplies so I can house all the bees I am catching.

Worst case is any old box will do better than letting them go. A styrofoam cooler, a cardboard box with the right sized hole, a five gallon bucket with a hole in the side. You can always cut out the combs later when you have the equipment. How about a hollow log cut off with a scrap board on top for a lid setting on the ground (for a bottom) and a hole drilled in the side for an entrance? Oh, I guess that's just a log bee gum.

Hey Hillbillynursery, Wish you were closer, I have more equipment than bees. Had to cut down for health reasons. I had the same problem several years ago in Simi
    Valley CA. I had so many calls for swarms that my son and I started to put them in boxes that we had just filled. I hate the feeling of more swarms than boxes.

Best of luck
    Earl White