Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mite test clarification

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Several sources say to use #8 mesh hardware cloth for the sticky board tray. Anyone know what size this is in inches? I have some brass window screen and also 1/4" mesh that looks to be galvanized. Will either of these work? If not, where can I buy #8 mesh? Thank you

#2 ·
#8 means there are 8 squares per inch. You can buy it from any of the bee suppliers. My local Ace Hardware carries it and any hardware store can get it for you. The 1/4" allows the bees(including robbers) to crawl through. The brass window screen would be too fine and trash and mites would accumulate on it too quickly.

#3 ·
Betterbee makes there's out of #7 or #6 if I remember right because, they say, less debris builds up. Mine are all #8. #8 is 8 wires per inch, as Beegee says. #4 is 4 wires per inch etc. ect. ect.

I have NOT found any #8 at any of the big chain stores like Menards. I HAVE found it at my local Ace hardware also, and I can ORDER it from the local True Value hardware store. You can also buy it from Brushy Mt (that I'm sure of off the top of my head) and probably most of the other bee suppliers, as Beegee says.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.