Smile

I have several really good books about beekeeping and have read them with great pleasure. Here are my favorites:

1. Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey - (Brother Adam) shows the absolute practicality of managing bees as a group instead of as individual colonies. Also gives a solid foundation for methods and manipulations and to the practical considerations of beekeeping.

2. Breeding the Honeybee - (Brother Adam) The only book in publication that gives a thorough review of the quirks and traits of most geographical races of bees. There is also a good description of the mechanics of a breeding program designed to achieve measured and consistent improvement in the strain of bees and their performance.

3. Breeding Superbees - (Steve Taber) The best book on selecting rare traits for long term improvement of bees.

4. The Hive and The Honeybee - (Dadant) For its consideration of just about everything in beekeeping. Never mind that the two-queen method they propound is lousy or that their pollen collection boards are poor performers, all around, its still one of the best general purpose beekeeping books around.

There are others, but what do you particularly like?

Fusion

I'm quite fond of the old books. Jay Smith's Queen Rearing Simplified or Better Queens. I have Dolittle'sScientific Queen Rearing, the really old ABC XYZ of queen rearing, and Lanstroths Hive and the Honey Bee. I also have more recent versions (1980's) of ABC XYZ and Dadant's the Hive and the Honey Bee. All of them are useful and interesting. I like the narrative style of the old books. Miller's 50 Years Among the Bees is nice too.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF