BILLY BOB Guest

Angry

I removed a hive from a tree last month on the 15th. I gave them a week before inspecting them. That's when I found emergency queen cells.

Ok. If they started the queen cells on the 15th with less than 3 day old eggs, the old lady should have emerged some time on the 2nd + or - a day or so.

It looks to have all went well. I found queen cells had been opened. On the 7th I still could not find any eggs or larva or the queen. By now it had been 23 days from when I removed them from the tree. You know what is happing to by worker population. So I removed a frame of 1 day old eggs, larva, and capped cells (this is still the 7th).

Today I looked on the girls again. No queen could be found. No new eggs no queen cells.

Now with no new queen cells being built, I'm thinking that she is in there some where? Am I right or not? They are the german black bees, and I think if she is in there she is running like no tomorrow when I open the hive.

I know what I think, (she there, I'm just not that good at finding her) so what do you guys think?

Thanks

Billy Bob

Hi,

16 days for a virgin. Up to 15 days for her to mate. Another wk for larvae. I'd wait a little more. If you have a frame of eggs from another colony you could add it. If they start making cells then you know queen rearing was un- successful. I'd sooneer bet your looking for a queen when you should be looking for a virgin or newly mated queen which are smaller looking.

Clay

BILLY BOB Guest

Wink

Hi Clay,

I opened my hive back up today, found the queen, and eggs!

You were right about her size. If you realy want to know when I was looking at the frame of bees and cone, the frist thing I thought when I saw her was..."That sure is a oversized, funny looking worker.", but it was her, even watched her lay a egg.

Another thing the cell size that I pulled from the tree with this hive is 4.9mm. When a hive has moved down in cell size, does that make a queen raised from that hive smaller to?

I know the queen cells from this hive were smaller than most I've seen, and I'd say she is about hafe the size of any other queen I've ever seen.

Thanks for the info!

Billy Bob

Hi,

When a hive has moved down in cell size, does that make a queen raised from that hive smaller to?

reply:

To a degree, yes. The diameter of the cell cup will be a bit smaller. Queens raised on 5.4 vs. 5.2 can even have a bit of size variation between the two.

Clay