Thread: Bee hunting

Has anyone ever tried bee hunting (sometimes called "lining bees")? I spent a few hours at it this fall. Haven't found a wild hive yet but its safe to say... I'm hooked! Interested in learning about different techniques, tips, tricks, experiences, stories, etc.

------------------
    John Bachman
    Wausau, WI
    jbachman@dwave.net

Question

I am not familiar with either term, what is "Bee Hunting" or "lining bees"? I know of a feral hive near my apiary, it is 15 to 20 feet up a tree in a hole. I am thinking of trying to hive it this coming spring.

[This message has been edited by NewBee (edited November 26, 2001).]

Hi John,

Are you using bait boxes? Have you tried scenting for bees? Have you tried tracking from water?

Clay

John B wrote:
    Has anyone ever tried bee hunting (sometimes called "lining bees")? I spent a few hours at it this fall. Haven't found a wild hive yet but its safe to say... I'm hooked! Interested in learning about different techniques, tips, tricks, experiences, stories, etc.

I have tried bee lining before. That's how I found the hive that got me started with bee keeping. The way I did was by chasing the bees from the water hole to their hive. The is a book called keeping bees that has a chapter on bee lining. he made a trap for the bees Put in some sugar water and used simmering honey to attract them walk out to an open area and set a bee free and watched were it went. Bee lining is fun and it is very exciting when you find your first hive.
    [/QUOTE]