Question

Here in East Texas we've already had several freezes a few weeks back. Now they are predicting highs around 70 until mid January. What will the bees be doing for the next few weeks in this nice weather with no nectar to gather?

Well, we had a few 60 degree days here (yesterday being one of them), so I took advantage of the predicted warm week and mixed up some feed. This was actually a lifesaver, because it got cold really fast and we didn't have time to feed very much before winter. I opened them up briefly, and I think the cluster is a bit larger than normal... these are carnis, but they looked like an italian cluster. That's probably due to the warmer weather. Anyhoo, to answer your question, I'd take advantage of the opportunity to feed some more.
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

I ony have 5 hives which are 2 hive bodies deep and they are already filled to the brim with honey. I was more of courious as to what the bees do on such nice days/weeks when there is no nectar. I assume they still go out and look for nectar, pollen, propolis, water, etc.?

[size="1"][ December 28, 2005, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Propolis30 ][/size]

This give me another question. With our winters here in East Texas normally not being that bad do you think that the second deep hive body is overkill? Should I go to just a second shallow hivebody or maybe only one deep hivebody period?

Thoughts?

Overkill doesn't kill bees, but underkill does. I would drop 1 to 1 1/2 story, 1 to 1 story, and see how they do. I wouldn't try them all at once.

Sound advice. I may give it a try and see.

Did you just say you have five double beeps full of bees and honey and you want to decrease the bees area? I think if I were you I'd super. Imagine extracting in January. But if they are producing honey, that's what you'll have.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Yes. And there appears to be nothing but honey in the upper hive bodies.