Hi I was asked to remove a colany of bees from a house to be renovated. Well I tried to do that today, armed with a loaded smoker full bee suit and impulments of distruction pry bars hammmers,roto zip and my favorate the chain saw. Todays chalange was won bees. I have done about 8 of these never have I delt with a hive this mean. I think I got about a hundred stings through the bee suit . The area smelled like a banana farm { the mark for death smell} . Even when I walked away they wouldn't go back to the hive. Any ideas on how to evict/capture these bees? As mean as they are is there any reason to try to get them out alive? I would hate their nasty trates to be bred into my docile hives
    Thanks Dan

If they are that bad I don't I would want them.
    I would wait a day and try again to see if they are still Hot.
    Before you do I would wash the bee suit to get rid of the marks of death.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Sounds like a job for a vacuum.

When you work them, wear a layer of clothes under the beesuit. A full coverall would be nice, but jeans and a long sleeved shirt will do. Rubber band your ankles. Wear boots. Smoke them a lot (being careful not to start a fire) and use a vacuum. If you don't have one there are several plans on here plus one in the plans section plus Brushy Mt. sells them to hook up to a shop vac. I've just cut a vent on a cheap, weak (the weaker the better) shop vac and put a piece of plywood hinged on one screw on for a damper with hardware cloth under it for when the power is off.

I don't know how far into the hive you got, but if you can do a screen cone you can vaucuum up a lot of bees ever night for two or three days and depopulate the colony a lot before you start back into it.

Micheal, does this kill the bees? If not then what do you do with the bees inside the vac? Do they just get dumped into a box or hive?

You have choices. I usually dump the vacuumed bees in front of one of my other hives and let them settle in with some other bees. You could also dump them into an empty hive with or without a queen in a cage. If you have a queen they will tend to stay better and you can keep doing that until you pull the comb out and tie it into frames then you can add the last of the bees, the frames with brood comb tied in and the old queen to the bees. Or you can just put these in their own hive and let them start over. It's not unusually for otherwise nice bees to get worked into a frenzy when you are tearing apart their home over a long period of time. So I would probably try keeping the old queen, if I could find her, and see how they do. If they stay mean I'd requeen them.

In this case, since they seem quite mean, I would dump the bees in front of one of my other hives, so that the resulting hive that get's extracted isn't so strong and if they are still mean they will be more managable.

Daisy, I see you don't wear a suit or veil. I have done a lot of work without one in my life, but if you ever open up a hive like Clinton described (in another post) you will wish you had one one. I have seen vicious bees and they are very frightening. You could get hundreds of stings before you know what happened and when they are that vicious they don't leave because you leave the hive, they stay on you and keep stinging.

I believe you Micheal.

The bees are no more the about fourty to fifty feet from my house so if I open the hive and bees pour out, or boil out, as you say, I've already made up my mind to run like hell into the house that's air conditioned.

I keep a can of bug spray right by the door with my flash light. I'll grab that and start flooding them with it.

When I set up my bees out in the back nine acres or yards around the area, I'll have my appropriate clothing on without compromises and my vehicle running with the a/c on high.

I can tell when they're testy just by thumping on the hive body.

And something else too....

I have that sugar spray with me all the time and if it's used heavily on the bee, they go to the ground and start cleaning themselves off because the spray disables them.

I don't recommend that anyone do what I'm doing. I'm taking chances now because I'm learning about them now and I just can't see myself jumpin in the truck and driving to where they are everytime I learn something else I failed to do, or something else I failed to look for during an inspection..

Plus, I feel safer if I'm closer to the house since I'm so green around the ears.

Oh Heck.

The main reason I don't wear the clothing is because I sweat like a racist at an election and the sweat gets in my eyes real bad. And then I get heat sickness real easy, my face turns beet red.

I'm going to have to come up with a way to aleviate this situation.

I have trouble with the heat also. Sometimes you just have to do things in short spurts and go cool off.

I work in the Texas gulf coast heat every day with blue jean shirt and pants plus a hard hat but it seems when you put on the veil that is what puts me over the edge. It stops the air from geting to the face. Kind of like stoping the air to the radiator in your truck. We must invent a CHEAP ac suit or veil!!! Or work real fast.

I was thinking the other day what I would give for an airconditioned suit. I wonder if you could make one that you could keep in the freezer that would stay cool for a hour or so before it got hot? That would be an improvment.

I was thinking the same thing Micheal.

I thought about the jell that's used on wounds, kept in the freezer etc, and placing it around my neck and over my shoulders that would keep me from sweating on my face.

I'd have a cooler filled with these things.

This is the Only reason for not suiting up if I don't fear very much risk.

Those look awsome! I may have to get one.