Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee Pollen Substitute with Caspian and Anis

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  chillardbee 
#1 ·
I’m in Fairfield, CT and have Italian Bees

My self made pollen patties of Soy Flour, Brewers Yeast and sugar water are not being taken by my Italian bees. Fact is no one, round here, has any luck with this mixture.

I’ve read a posting using Caspian, (the heat from chilies), and anis oil to stimulates the bees appetite.

Anyone have experience with these two ingredients added to the basic bee pollen recipe?
I’d be grateful for a recipe.

I’d like to pass this info on to my local club.

Thanks all,

Nelson87

#2 ·
I don't know anything about Caspian or anis oil, but I think part of your problem is that you are at least a couple of weeks too early.

I advise beekeepers to not put on pollen patties until the pussy willows are in full bloom. Even then they won't be taken when the weather is too cool...as it is right now.

In the northeast, pollen patties are best used from pussy willow bloom through soft maple (red maple, silver maple, etc.) and up until dandelion bloom. Most (but not all) hives will take them when they can't get natural pollen because the weather is too cool for full flight, but not so cool they need a tight cluster.

Next year try adding 20% (by weight or volume) natural pollen collected or processed in such a way to avoid contamination with chalkbrood or AFB scales. Natural pollen is a tremendous help in getting acceptance.

#3 ·
Nelson87,
No mention of the percentages of the items.
But, if you increase the amount of sugar there is a greater opportunity of them eat the patties.

I have had great luck with the patties that I get from Global Patties, Alberta Canada. The bees jump on them with abandon. I used to mix my own, but I take that time and put it against other things that are shouting for attention.

PM me and I will send you additional information on them.
Frank Wyatt

#4 ·
Soybean flour is toxic to bees, according to Steve Taber. Taber makes a pollen patty. “Mix 1 part pollen to 1 part water to make everything stick together. Mix in a small amount of brewer’s yeast to firm up the mixture and to prevent it from running.”

I use pollen patties from the last week in January to March 15 in south Louisiana. You will have to adjust the dates for your location. If you do not have pollen, buy “Bee-Pro” patties from Mann Lake, Ltd.

#5 ·
Soy flour is only mildly toxic (after 2-3 brood cylcles) Given the favorable amino acid mix that it has, adding a small amount to brewers yeast, pollen or non-fat dehydrated milk seems reasonable. I think that the problem is an odor issue. Some honey or natural pollen might help (if you can get it AFB free). Maybe try using your own honey in the mix.

#7 ·
there's nothing like good ol honey and pollen to make your patties irristable to the bee, throw in a little anise oil and you'll increase the irristability of the patties.

I've been using caspian solution as the liquid portion of my patties and of course in mixing up the caspian it calls for pollen and honey anyway. the pollen i use has been irradiated and the honey is my own but nevertheless i still add terri to my mix and fumigillin as well. i actually add more pollen then the recipe for the caspian calls for as this is going to be used to make patties. caspian might make a little difference but i think you can do with out it. one thing you could do is when making the liquid part of your patty mix is making a 1:1 sugar syrup then add 1 kg per gallon of honey and 2 lbs of pollen per gallon then just add either beepro or brewers yeast or what ever to make your dough.
My colonies have just taken down the third patty and i'll be replacing them in about a week, i've not fed this much cake ever, it's really quit impressive.
wish you luck in the feeding of your patties.

#8 ·
"I’ve read a posting using Caspian, (the heat from chilies),. . . ." -Nelson87

Just to clear up what I perceive to be some confusion here:

I've read, too, that some Caspian solution added to pollen substitute will increase the appeal of the substitute to the bees. I think "Caspian" and "capsaicin" have been confused here.

Capsaicin is the "hot" substance in hot peppers.

Caspian solution contains royal jelly, pheromones and other natural ingredients.

Unless hot peppers really do attract bees, I think adding extracts from peppers to pollen substitute won't do much good. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.