I inherited some additional equipment from a friend recently. Among the items, were about 100 plastic "Honey Master" deep 'frames'. They apparently are placed in the brood boxes between each frame. They are kind of like a mini, vertical queen excluder but the spacing between the bars are big enough for the queen to move through. Does anyone know what these are intended for or where I could get some more information about them? A Google search turned-up nothing.

They are/were made by:
    Pantec Development Company
    Santa Barbara, CA

These came on the market about the mid seventies. They were called something like "no swarm cluster frames". The idea was that the bees would have more room to cluster and ventilate, and therefore not swarm. They, of course, go against every principal and detail of natural hive structure.

I had a buddy who bought some, and also made some out of masonite with hundreds of holes drilled in them. The bees of course moved up into the supers. When I finally coaxed him into tossing the cluster frames, and forcing the queen back into the brood chambers, the bees moved all of the honey down too, and he got no crop. He was really mad at me, but his bees were happy. I have a copy of the add in an old bee journal. Give me your fax # and I will send it to you.

Kamerill,
    Are you by any chance from Pa?

Yes, BjornBee, I am originally from central PA (State College/Penn State). I now live in NH. Shoot me an e-mail. How many "degrees of separation" are there between us?

[This message has been edited by kamerrill (edited December 01, 2003).]

I found a February 1975 add in Gleanings for the Pantec Honey Master No Swarm Cluster Frames. "Now stop swarming forever and double your honey yield. Save time, labor and money with this significant new technological breakthrough." Full page add, one set of 14 frames will do a double brood chamber, $29.95 per set.

Glad to fax you a copy if wanted.