I screwed up yesterday (Sunday). I was mowing on the tractor and decided to make a couple of passes by the hives (3). I've done this before without incident. The second pass yesterday, two hives emptied and hammered me. It was the scariest thing I've ever been in. I managed to get the tractor in neutral before I bailed. I hit the house and ran straight into the shower. I ended up with 30-40 stings, mostly on the shoulders and neck with 10-12 on the head and face. I drove myself to the ER and got a steriod shot. Had chills and fever all afternoon, but it subsided about 10pm. Today my head and face are very swollen, and many spots are tender. Hopefully a couple of days will see the worst of it clearing. I'll see my MD tomorrow for a check. I had worked the hives Sat. adding Apistan and checking everything for the first time in a couple of months. The bees have been working pretty well since the drought broke and they are collecting alot of pollen. All the hives had brood.

Better safe than sorry. A calm hive one day may be upset the next. Between robbers and predators you can't predict how good of a mood they will be in.

Mowing is one of the things I worry about when I get started next spring. I'll have to mow every two weeks in front of the hives since the grass grows so fast.

From what I have read, it's best to mow in the late late evening. Either way, I'm wearing my veil and long pants...

How close to the hives were you mowing? Is there a "safe" distance away from a hive you can mow without a problem.

When I mow the bee yard I suit up like I was going to work them get on the tractor mow - use the weedeater they get mad but they get over it but I don`t go back around them until the next day!!

Bees are unpredictable. Sometimes a really vicous hive will come after you when you are 20 yards BEHIND the hives. But usually you can mow without a few feet of the front IF the grass is being thrown the other direction from the front of the hives. I still wouldn't do it without protective equipment.

I was really close. The first pass was a couple of feet out, the second pass was 6-7 feet out. Like I said, I had done this before, but the hives have really built up this fall and the attitude has changed somewhat. One hive seems a little hotter than the others. I has the most bees as well. They raised their own queen this spring, so it may need to be re-queened from known stock.

BILLY BOB Guest

As I read the post down I was going to ask if you may need to requeen. I didn't know if the AHB had made it to your area.

I was running a bush hog by my hives a month ago......Not a good thing to do!

Real neat how they let you know that they liked the grass and weeds more then you.

BB

Is it just the noise that bothers them or do they feel threatened. Can you put an entrance reducer on or close them up completley while you mow?

today i had a bee fly right up my nose and sting me.wow!,made me forget about the rest of the world real quick.

I use an electric mower they do not seem to mind at all with that, I think it is the exhaust fumes they hate more that anything!

------------------
    DSharpe

sorry about that, you might want to requeen.

requeen!,i got 150lbs of honey out of those girls,they are probably just crabby from working so hard,+ they seem to be very mite resistant.i think alot of beekeepers are too quick to requeen.