Thread: hypothetical

lets say I had a quenless nuc.Would the bees abscond or would it eventuallt have laying workers?Or what?

If there were new eggs and freshly hatched larvae, the chances are the bees would make a new queen. If they have no fresh larvae, they may become laying workers, or they may just dwindle away. Whether they abscond en masse is anybody's guess....I've had all three scenarios play out.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

You could get a laying worker after sometime of being queenless.

Absconding would be the hive leaving as a whole and that would be very unlikely.

The forgers could also just drift to a queen right hive in the same yard over time till the hive died out.

[This message has been edited by MountainCamp (edited June 10, 2004).]

The bees in a queenless hive do drift. I have never seen queenless bees abscond. I would define "abscond" as kind of like a swarm except they all leave. If they don't all drift off probably a worker will eventually start laying. Sometimes they even manage to raise a queen from the laying worker eggs.
    http://www.beesource.com/pov/lusby/bsmay1991.htm http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/thelytoky.html

I have seen this mentioned in Laidlaw's and Snelgrove's books also.

But usually they just die off and drift off.

They sometimes get very docile or sometimes they get very hot. They often haul in pollen like there is no tommorow, which for them, I guess, is true.

(duplicate)

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited June 10, 2004).]

Absconding usually happens to new hives before a nest gets established. One of my swarms absconded 3 days after hiving. It was my fault though because I disturbed them too much.

------------------
    Scot Mc Pherson
    Foundationless Small Cell Top Bar Hives
    BeeWiki: http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/

>Absconding usually happens to new hives before a nest gets established. One of my swarms absconded 3 days after hiving. It was my fault though because I disturbed them too much.

Sometimes you leave them alone and they abscond too. MAYBE it's your fault. MAYBE it's just that they wanted to.