Question

Hello All,
    I have some questions about keeping bees in my area 1 will they get enough pollen: we have a 15' orange tree in the back yard and native flowers that the wild bees seem to like plus there are about 15 citrus trees a quarter of a mile down the road.2 does anyone know of any municipal codes that might keep me from having bees 3 is my yard big enough it is about 1/4 of an acre. Iwould apreaciate any answers you might have.
    Thankyou

Hi trainee,

I'm not sure about municiple codes in FL, but you really just need enough space to have your hives. The bees will fly miles to gather nectar and pollen. This is what allows people inside of a city to keep bees. You probably won't get exclusive orange honey from that few of a number of trees, but they should help.

Ribster

Hi Trainee

Best to ck the ordinances. I got my first hive only to find out there was an ordinance here that no bees within 300' of anyone else's residence. Lots of bees around town in plain open sight; ordinance unenforced unless you get a complaint. I got a complaint; no way they'd let me keep them. Bees now at a friend's place 130 miles away till I get moved to the country. Tired of 10 years of "city hassle" over all kinds of nonsence after being in the country for 17 years where folks live & let live!.

Lew

Big Grin

Thankyou,
    Thankyou for your replies so quickly.I was planning on looking through the books of codes at the county library.I am also glad that I should have enough pollen. Thankyou

Trainee, call the country extension service. They can probably tell you about legal issues, and/or point you to a beekeeping club.
    Lesli<br /> <a href=\"http://beeyard.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://beeyard.blogspot.com/</a>

Trainee

City animal control is who zapped me.

Lew

I was hit up by the board of health the guy told me they were in violation and i told him he was nuts, i did my research and know code is being violated then he shoots back that there a nocent violation so i invited him over too look the hive over. i gave him my vale and hat and i went in with shorts and a sweat shirt stood next two the hive for a few min then propped open the top and not a bother. the girls were to busy to bother us, well come to find out have a miserable Neighbor The board of health guy told me to have fun and have not been bothered since

Big Grin

Hello again
    I have done a little research I found only one county ordinance that refers to beekeeping and only in a large scale/comercial apiary sence.I don't think neighbors will be a problem because most are renters and the other two one(who is a freind) doesn't care what I do.
    Thankyou again for your responses

Trainee, don't disregard renters. They can make every bit as much trouble for you as property owners...........Ron

I found city regulations under city animal control regulations.

Like a LOT of cities, I am restricted to 2 hives in my back yard.

No regulations here against it. I got a call to remove bees from a partition which I brought back home to remove, took a couple days to get to it though and the police came by and paid me a visit, they said a neighbor complainted the the police officer took up the ordinances and said he could find nothing that says I can't have bees here. I moved them though as this was my original intent.
    ------------------------------------------<br />Colton<br />------------------------------------------

&gt; Like a LOT of cities, I am restricted to 2 hives
    &gt; in my back yard.

...which means 4, if you keep them with migratory
    covers in groups of 2 with each group of 2 only
    an inch apart. No one knows what a beehive
    should look like, do they? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm with Jim on this. Some of my single hives are long and look a lot like several side by side. [img]smile.gif[/img] Some of my clusters of nucs look like one hive and are actually eight. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Is this one hive or eight?

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/ima...sWintering.JPG
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Big Grin

Hello Ron C,
    Thankyou for you concern about the renters but code enforcment came about a complaint about chickens we had to get rid of them but when he learned that they where renters he said that only the land owners complaints count and they are a very nice elderly couple.Thankyou anyways.Now to Terri,Jim,and Michael I should have no problem with city restrictions because I am outside all city limits.But if we where annexed then I would have trouble.Thankyou very much for you input.

As far as future problems due to annexation, be aware that in most (all?) states there is a 'right to farm' law in some form. In some states it says that ground annexed after a particular date may still be used for agricultural purposes (even though the city ordinances may disallow it, It may depend if it was vulontarily annexed or not as well). Often they state such uses cannot be deemed a nuisance. The laws and language vary state by state and some are more protective than others, so you need to check them for where you live, but they could allow an exemption from the city ordinances.

This page has links to all the 'right-to-farm' laws in all the states (at the bottom of the page)
    http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/dawson...e/nuisance.htm

Of course I'm not a lawer, so anything I say should be questioned and probably ignored [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Tim

Big Grin

Tim
    Thankyou for that tidbit of info I will check that out.
    Thankyou