Recently helped a friend requeen a colony with only drone brood and found a queen cell drawn out in the midst of capped drone brood. There were no signs of worker brood in this colony. Before I requeened I shook all the frames free of bees some distance from the hive and put the queen cage in after destroying the lone queen cell. Why was there a queen cell made amongst the drone brood? This was a package that he installed in May of this year on drawn comb that had both worker and drone comb.Also there was no queen to be found in the hive.

edit: I misunderstood, sorry...

I did have a similar situation, I think sometimes queens that are running out of sperm lay mostly drones but occasionally might spit out a fertilzed egg?
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

I've spent a lot of time trying to save drone filled hives. I don't think it's worth it. Shaking the bees out won't get rid of laying workers. Be sure to freeze the brood before you give it back or you will have incubated a lot of Varroa. It's a good time to spray with sucricide. I once put a hive like this over a good hive with a screen between for a week and then combined them. That hive lost it's queen and is still a clunker.

Dickm

Was that queen cell occupied?

I had a laying worker colony, and they built queen cells all over, started raising larvae in them, even capping them, but none would ever hatch. I waited and waited and watched and watched, and nuthin' happened.

-rick

Thanks for the help-I guess this colony is doomed and I certainly won't devote any more time or worry over it.This was a first for me,and really appreciate you taking the time to answer.