Question

Any one else think that the cover to the September issue of Bee Culture
    is a poor example of an apiary.

OPPS! I commented before reading the cover credits.

[This message has been edited by The Honey House (edited September 09, 2002).]

Arrow

I am new to the world of beekeeping and have been doing a lot of research (reading). I have noticed that allmost all the photos I see, shows mostly supers that need painting, interiors covered with propolis, and overgrown Bee Yards. I guess some of us have been conditioned by advertising PR into thinking that everything is NEW, FRESH, and perfect.

In the Sep '02 issue of Bee Culture, page 39, is an article about "Hiding Our Beehive". Maybe some hives are hidden for a reason.

Maybe the cover photo you mention will remind us this winter, as we set by the fire, that we too have some things that need our care.
    Maybe after we have ROBBED our bees, we can repay them with a NEW, FRESH and CLEAN winter home.

My guess is the bees don't know and don't care if it's painted or if the grass is cut, other than in front of the entrance.

Several years ago I started a new yard with three nucs. I had to clear an area for the stand by cutting down a small oak tree.
    I placed the stand behind the stump.
    I didn't get back to that yard much that summer. And as every one knowns, those hardwood stumps will send out a thousand sprouts. These sprouts blocked one of the hives. The hive was the weakest of the three.
    Could have been a number of factors but I firmly believe that the obstruction caused
    drifting as the middle hive has enormous!

None of my hives are hiden. All are visable from the road, they're just back about 100 yards or so. The lady that sells for me in town says that people see the hives first
    and then the honey for sale sign. They're always wanting to go down and take a look see.