Folks, I live in the Phoenix AZ area. 4 months ago, a swarm of bees decided to make my fireplace chimney a home. I have been helping a friend (a new beekeeper) while I am working in OH. He loaned me a suit to remove the bees in my chimney in AZ. I cleaned and washed the walls inside to eliminate as much honey and wax as possible.

This week I found out the bees are now using the walls of my garage to form a new home.

Besides filling as many access points to the walls of my house, is there some kind of chemical powder or spray that I can use to deter these bees. I was told they may be Africanized, and am concerned for my pets and family memebers.

While I respect the bees and don't want to kill them, I also don't want them to keep making my Casa their Casa.

Greatful for a solution,
    Kelly

Other than sealing it up so they can't get in and filling cavities so there isn't anywhere for them to set up housekeeping I don't know of anything to keep them from moving in. There are some chemicals used to drive bees from the supers to steal their honey, but they disapate rapidly, or they wouldn't work well for the job, since we want the bees to go BACK into the supers later.

Well its complicated. Bees are attracted to the pheromone of the queen and the pheromone will linger on whatever she was on for quite sometime. Here is my trick. Place the swarm in a hive body around dusk. Immediatly spray the area of the wall with spray paint or a sealer. ie laquer, urathane. This will cover up the pheromone. Wait until dark, and move the hive atleast 2 miles form your house.

------------------
    Tim Gifford
    www.happbeehoney.net

Thanks for the input. Michael, I have helped my friend here harvest honey. We used the spray you speak of, and it works great.

I will try the removal and spray method, plus sealing all areas of entry to the walls before hand.

Thanks again