1) it's best if you drill your holes BETWEEN two frames (DAMHIKT).

2) it works better if you spread those two frames apart as far as possible.

3) A sheet of plexiglas on top of the hive is necessary until you get the hang of it.

4) if you're not sure your getting it done, you're probably not. You'll know when you hit the sweet spot with the torch.

5) in general, the bees resent the hell out of this hole procedure.

>1) it's best if you drill your holes BETWEEN two frames (DAMHIKT).

I just drilled the hole in a shallow super and glued a 1/4" laun lid on it. So it's ABOVE the frames.

>3) A sheet of plexiglas on top of the hive is necessary until you get the hang of it.

I haven't tried it, but it seems like a good idea. Maybe I'll make a box with a plexi lid.

>5) in general, the bees resent the hell out of this hole procedure.

I have never seen the bees the least bit upset by it. How much acid did you use for how many boxes of bees?

I just used a plain piece of plexiglas laid on top of the box. It worked fine. I thought about building the 'gas box', but it seemed like too much trouble at the time. Now, maybe it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I think the bees mostly resented the piece of 1/8" hardboard I pushed into the entry to seal off the SBB. I don't have trays on mine. I experimented with dosage and used about twice as much as you are using. I couldn't see any significant cloud at all with one cap full. My hives are all sitting at 3 mediums right now. Most seem to be full of bees (except for a couple of NWC). I'll be re-thinking the whole process for awhile. I'm not happy with fumes that I experienced. Yep, I was warned. It was 68 degrees and sunny today. The bees were fiesty.

The amount I'm using (1/2" pipe cap full for up to three mediums) has killed virtually all the mites. I had a really small really hot hive I once so I experimented on it. It was one 8 frame box and I put about two and a half capfulls in it. The bees poured out of the entrance and there were a lot of dead bees. You can overdose with oxalic acid. It's true the dosage seems less critical, but it's still hard on the bees in large amounts.