Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sudan and soybean have been grown toghther and round baled and wraped for haylage. I also knew of people that would put it up in the silo. This is just a very high protien feed that is very palitable to the cows. But there is some debate on the protien being digestable.

Can anyone point me to the pros/cons of soybeans as a honey crop?

Is there much pesticide used on it? When and how long are the blooms? How many acres to the hive / how much is typical honey yield?

There is a lot of it grown in my area but I'm not too familiar with it as a honey crop.

>Can anyone point me to the pros/cons of soybeans as a honey crop?
    Is there much pesticide used on it? When and how long are the blooms? How many acres to the hive / how much is typical honey yield?

If it's near your bees, it doesn't matter what the pros/cons of it are. They are going to get nectar from it. I wouldn't PLANT it just for a honey crop. The farmer here doesn't use any insecticide on it. He does no till and uses some herbacides but not when it's in bloom. I don't know how much of the yeild I get is from the soybeans. I'm sure it's some of it. I'd say if you get more than 25 hives in one place they are going to be competing for it. If you get up to 50 it will probably no longer increase the yeild.