Thread: queen going up

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

Question

HI,

yesterday when I visited one of my hives I found the queen on a frame in the super (first one) that I installed last week. In this super, there is a drawn frame full of syrup and pollen and 9 frames of plastic foundation (2 of them are beginning to be drawn by the bees. The brood chamber below holds 4 brood-frames, 3 food-frames, 1 foundation and 2 empty drawn frames.

I wonder why the queen didn't lay eggs in the empty frames and got up. Should I take her back down and place an excluder?

Also, when there is too much food-frames in a brood chamber and lot of empty space in a super, do the bees take the honey from the food-frames up to give space for egg-laying?

Thank you

Hugo

>yesterday when I visited one of my hives I found the queen on a frame in the super (first one) that I installed last week. In this super, there is a drawn frame full of syrup and pollen and 9 frames of plastic foundation (2 of them are beginning to be drawn by the bees. The brood chamber below holds 4 brood-frames, 3 food-frames, 1 foundation and 2 empty drawn frames.

If they are storing pollen in the super, they are seeing it as part of the brood chamber. They don't store pollen in what they veiw as supers.

>I wonder why the queen didn't lay eggs in the empty frames and got up. Should I take her back down and place an excluder?

So you have one shallow or medium super on top of one deep brood box? I would go for at least one more deep brood box and probably two more before putting on supers. She will go where ever she wants if you don't use an excluder, but if you have three deeps for the brood and keep moving the box with her in it to the bottom from time to time, she will PROBABLY leave the supers alone. It's a matter of personal preference to use the excluder. Currently, since they are putting pollen in the super, and you don't want her to lay there, I would catch her and put her in the brood chamber. Actually I'd be tempted to pull the super off altogether and add a deep brood box instead.

>Also, when there is too much food-frames in a brood chamber and lot of empty space in a super, do the bees take the honey from the food-frames up to give space for egg-laying?

Sometimes. But not always.

One of the nice things about running all the same type of frames for both brood and supers, is you can do it for them if you think the brood chamber is honey bound. As in your current position you could just add more boxes on top and figure that the super is part of the brood chamber.

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

My super is a deep one (I don't have any shallow or medium supers).

When the queen goes up in a super, does she go back down again when she finds no more space up? I would say no to that with the little knowledge I have in beekeeping. If that is correct, what should I do with the 2 empty drawn frames in the hive body? Leave it there?

I don't intend to have 3 brood boxes, because I will not harvest any honey with this one, it's new and I want to feed it 1:1 all summer long. Our season is short over here, the honeyflow is about to begin, and we give the "winter feeding" around september 15.

Hugo

Question

Greetings . . . Michael Bush,

>if you have three deeps for the brood and keep moving the box with her in it to the bottom from time to time, she will PROBABLY leave the supers alone.

I thought "reversals" was made in early spring, BEFORE adding honey supers. Are reversals done DURING a flow? How many times and when?

thanx,
    Dave W