Well I've had to combine a colony with another that guards their entrance because they will not guard themselves against robbing.

This colony was very prolific, drew beautiful comb, put up lots of honey and pollen, brood patterns very nice, the only problem is they won't guard their entrance. They won't even go after me to sting.

I'm new to this but I still find this very unusual..

If my robbing hive, goes after anymore of my hives, I'm going to split them, in hopes of taking some wind out of their sails.

Maybe.......

BILLY BOB Guest

I have noticed that less aggressive hives/bees are more likely to be robed than the more lively ones. When you breed out the aggressiveness in the bees you are removeing a defense that has taken all of history to develope. The sting is there for a reason! All, just so a few beekeepers can work without being stung. What do you expect. You go through there home. Take things that don't belong to you. Then get up set when the bees try and defend the hive? Wow, I hope no one tries that at my house. I would hate to show my aggressive side.

Try and requeen/split with a different queen next year. You can try and use a queen from one of your hives that are not quite as nice.

BB

[This message has been edited by BILLY BOB (edited September 20, 2003).]

Thanks Bob,

They could all stand a queen from my oldest group. They are the robbers.

They don't look the same as when I first bought them, the abdomen is orange toward the front, and black toward the back, two color, is all.

I wonder if a queen mated with a black feral around here?

Have you ever seen a bee like this?

BILLY BOB Guest

Yes. Darker or black bees will bring out the same color in the lower end of the abdomen. The queen most likely mated with a feral drone. Don't for get that there is no such thing as a pure race for honey bees in our country.

BB

Well then I should take notes on differences I notice with this half and half offspring. They are gentle but they are the smartest robbers I've ever seen. And when they guard their entrance it's curtains for any intruder. They don't just run off a snooper, they kill it. I watched as two bees flew off together with a snooping bee. How's that for teamwork? LOL

One snooper was stunned after a tassle with my robbers, and she was laid up for a couple of minutes before she could fly away. They are some super tuff bees.

They're still working in sheets to draw comb. Wow.

So far I'm impressed with them. So few mites in this hive. This after treating with that "whatever it is I use", so they must have not been very infested.

This is the only hive I got honey from this year. They've also supplied extra brood and honey for other hives I've nursed this year.

I may give them the Blue Ribbon.