I have a five gallon bucket of honey that I extracted that needs straining. I have tried some thru cheesecloth but there is still some wax and other stuff in it. What is the best filter to use?

Eman,

You might want to give stockings or pantyhose a try, they work nicely, they are disposable and cheap. To make this a bit easier, W. Kelly offers a cylinder strainer (cat.# 236). If you decide to use method look to get support hose (they are slightly stronger) some even have elastic around the top which help to hold them onto the cyclinder strainer. Hope this helps, cj

I just use one of those double wire strainers and then let everthing else rise to the top. I bottle off of a 5 gallon bucket so it runs off the bottom anyway. I like a little pollen in the honey.

Ditto. I do the same as MB

I use the double strainer with strainer cloth from manlake. Just a plastic sive you use for pasta works great with the strainr cloth too.

If you have a lot of honey to strain (20 gallons or up) it does clog the wire strainer. It's nice to have at least two so you can change buckets and strainers and finish letting the partially clogged one drain and then clean it out and have it ready for the next time the other one clogs up. I strain it coming out of the extractor. Another way to speed up extracting is to just dump it into five gallon buckets (unstrained) and use a double five gallon bucket strainer so you can dump five gallons at a time in. A bucket perch is also helpful.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited September 19, 2003).]

I get the paint straining cloths from the hardware store. The ones that are made to fit over the five gallon buckets are the best. You can either tie it to the top of the bucket or to the honeyate on your extractor. Just remember, do not squeeze out the cloth at the end of the run.

I have also bought for this year a fine wire scive/screen that fits over a five gallon bucket. I hope I get to use it.

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

The beekeeper I worked with this summer had a nice operation (we'd extract 1500 pounds of honey in about 4 hours - and he told me it's been a bad summer for honey here in NJ)

Bob used to use regular panty hose to strain the honey but found they broke at all the wrong times. When he switched over to elastic/support stockings, all his straining problems were solved.

Interesting to look at too: http://www.blackcatnetworkhelp.net:80/s00r.aspx/mnist/bees/extracting/images/filter.jpg

------------------
    First Year Beekeeping Journal: http://www.blackcatnetworkhelp.net/beeblog.aspx

[This message has been edited by mnist (edited September 21, 2003).]

A polyester womans slip works pretty good. Cheesecloth tends to leave fibers.

I do the same as MB. I keep several strainer screens in rotation so when one clogs up I go to the next. This allows things to speed up.

Clay

Paint stores carry a nylon strainer (either 1 gallon or 5 gallon) that is very cheap (about 1 dollar each)- that works best for me. It's very durable and strains just right.