Thread: Pollen Trap

This is my 2nd year working with bees. I have 4 hives for fun. I just put a Sundance I Pollen Trap on and am wondering how long to keep it on each hive before moving it to another hive.

Thanks....Jennifer

It takes the bees some adjustment to start using it. I would leave it on the same one. If you think they are short on pollen because of it (which they are not supposed to be) then I'd alternate with one other hive. I'd go with a short period so they don't forget how to get through it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael...I really appreciate your response. The hive with the pollen trap on now has more pollen than any of the hives. It seems to make them go get more. They appear to be stockpiling it. Is that normal? Also, I have a screened bottom board and the pollen trap seems to be making the screened board useless. Should I think about getting the new pollen trap that goes on top and retrain them to go there or not worry about it?

Thanks.....Jennifer

spring island ask:
    They appear to be stockpiling it. Is that normal?

tecumseh replies:
    yes, depending on location pollen may be in short supply or abundance. at this location pollen is so plentiful that it will often dislocate the queen from the bottom box as all the bottom frames become plugged with pollen stores.

>Should I think about getting the new pollen trap that goes on top and retrain them to go there or not worry about it?

I wouldn't worry about it, but you can buy the Sundance II next time you're buying one. It goes on top.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF