Thread: fall time

HI,

I am starting to feed my bees for the fall. Do most people also feed pollen substitute? I am starting to get the picture that some of my losses last year were from not enough bees going into winter, versus not enough honey (as there was a lot in the spring). Thanks, D

They should have enough pollen stored to get through this time of year, but maybe not enough for resuming brood raising in Jan. Pollen subistute is not as good for making bees that live long enough to get through the winter. You might better let them consume what they have, and then give them some in late Jan, or early Feb.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

>...I am starting to get the picture that some of my losses last year were from not enough bees going into winter, versus not enough honey...

When you performed yout post mortem on your losses last season, what were the indications that led you to believe that the problem was not having enough bees?

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

My fall / winter preparations are aimed at increasing the population of young bees and to help the cluster with getting stores.
    I feed a light syrup in the fall to help extend the time the queen is laying. This provides more and younger bees for wintering.
    I also wrap the hive with felt paper increasing the solar gain of the hive. This allows the cluster to feed later in fall and earlier in spring. It also helps the cluster move to get stores in spring during cold snaps when they are tied to brood.
    Most of my winter losses over the years were during the late winter / early spring when a extended period of cold weather pinned the cluster down.