We are expecting our first frost tonight in upstate New York. What will the bees do after the frost? Anything left for them to eat in the great outdoors or just what they have stored in the hive?

Hi,

We are expecting our first frost tonight in upstate New York. What will the bees do after the frost? Anything left for them to eat in the great outdoors or just what they have stored in the hive?

reply:

Asters are hardy. They will supply some pollen and a little nectar still. But things will be coming to an end soon.

Clay

Most plants quit flowering after a freeze but there are a few that continue. But mostly there won't be much left after that.

Chrysanthemums will survive for several more weeks, and bees love them--especially for pollen.

My bees are still working in CT as of Nov 15, on what, I can't imagine. I did see one girl with a small amount of yellow pollen. This is after some cold nights.

Today was a warm day here in Westchester county and my bees where carrying pollen (some yellow some bright orange) like crazy. I'd say 1 out of 4 or 5 was coming back into the hive loaded. Chrysanthemumus? How about mums? Broccoli may still be producing flowers (it does in my garden but I've never seen a bee on them).

Jorge

Thursday was a nice day in this part of MO and I was out watching my bees most of the day, they were bringing in loads of red pollen. We have had a hard freeze.
    Earl