Thread: Problem

Hello, I was hoping I could get a little help on a problem I have. My mom noticed this in the backyard today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rbomb/Bees.jpg

I'm not sure how long it takes to build a hive of that size, but I'm sure it takes awhile. How would we go about getting rid of it?

California?

Nice picture.
    Look like honeybees.
    But they may not be the type you want around.
    I would suggest that you look for a local beekeeper to check these out.

Yup, California. Thanks for the input.

in california, not long it would take

expessually since swarms take the required tools to make the comb, that and not having to care for brood for long enough [img]smile.gif[/img]

you could do all sorts of things to get rid of them, but a local beekeeper could just pluck it out of the trees it looks like, i wouldn't let anyone charge you for it. (or atleast not that much)

it's not like it's inside a building, would you need a ladder?

i'd find a link to somone that could help you out, but my AOL 28.8k isn't what it use to be.

i'd just google for a local beekeeper's association and usually they have a list of people on their sha-bang that'll take swarms.

either that or maybe someone on the board will know someone or they will be in the area themselves.

blah, blah blah.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    \"You\'ve got to stop beating up your women because you can\'t find a job, because you didn\'t want to get an education and now you\'re (earning) minimum wage.\"<br /><br />-Bill Cosby

Thanks, appreciate it.

Is Santa Clara in Southern California? If it is it could possibly Africinized so be careful until you find out.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Go to this site and see if Becky has anyone in your area.
    http://www.ebeehoney.com/swarmremovalmap.html

Fantastic photo!

Ah-ha, you found them. I've been looking for them since late March.

Seriously though -- If you want a beekeeper to capture them (desired) you can try to contact Frank Carrier, 601 south baywood ave, san jose.
    His business in in a residential area just off of Winchester Blvd & Moorpark ave -- (might be his bees) Phone number is 408-296-6100 but It is difficult to communicate over the phone. Better to visit his shop. He will likely have a list of several beekeepers who are in need of bees and will remove them for you.

If you want to pay ~$100 you can contact Ron Adams
    at 408-590-8604. He makes a living with bees and tractor services.

There is also Mark Small, who runs around 50 hives
    but I don't know if he will collect those. 408-857-1466 he runs a bee business.

I would be interested in observing the hive, I think it is much bigger than the picture indicates. But I really don't need any more bees, and I sure don't need more honey.

Fuzzy -- Fuzzy.campbell@philips.com

Thanks for the help everyone. We're going to see if the city will do anything about it and if that doesn't work, beekeeper it is.