Thread: Imrie Shim

Hybrid View

Question

Here's a question for you. Has anyone used or know of anyone that uses this piece of equipment? I have kept bees since 1997 and have never heard of such a thing until this year. I'm very curious to see if this actually has any value. There is nothing written that I can find other than what I read in a supply catalog. I can definately see both advantages as well as disadvantages in using it. Please let me know what you think and I will let you know what I find out, I'm goint to order ten of them this week and try them out in several different situations, in different yards.

David

You'll find George Imirie's article on this, together with loads of other stuff of his, at http://www.beekeeper.org/george_imirie/ If only I could cut and paste into this !!!! thing I would have been able to give you the URL ever so much more easily.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com

Exclamation

I made 4 Imirie shims and put them all in hives. In each case, the hives were in a honey flow and drawing out foundation. All 4 hives drew out wax in the extra space provided by the shims. It does violate bee space rules. I am not sure what will happen if there is bountiful empty comb and the shims are used. It may work fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve_in_NC:
    I made 4 Imirie shims and put them all in hives. In each case, the hives were in a honey flow and drawing out foundation. All 4 hives drew out wax in the extra space provided by the shims. It does violate bee space rules. I am not sure what will happen if there is bountiful empty comb and the shims are used. It may work fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've always wanted to try one or two but I had the same fear, too much comb filling the large gap. It would be interesting to hear how they work out for you. As a rule I rely on George's advice quite a lot, I mean after 60+ years he must know something. Bobby

Mr. Brenchley,
    WOW!!! I checked out the web page you directed me to, I read from start to finish!! What a HUGE amount of information! Mr. Imrie definitely seems to know beekeeping, he probably has forgotten more than I will ever learn. A very "nononesense" man, tell it like it is. An excellent read, I would encourage all beekeepers, young and old alike to read that webpage.
    Steve, please check this out, G. Imrie instructs not to install the shim on supers with foundation, only supers with drawn comb. Bees that are given supers of foundation will automatically build comb in any available space but if they have drawn comb they will start filling it with nectar.
    Thank you very much Mr. Brenchley. I have decided to give the shims a try this year, I will keep you all updated on how they work for me.
    Happy Beekeeping
    David

[This message has been edited by mainelybees (edited June 04, 2001).]