Thread: snake!

I was watching my hives yesterday at about dusk, and i was shocked to see a snake come out of the front of a hive. Just came out and vanished in the grass. I have not heard of this happening before! It was a big surprise...is it eating bees? Any ideas?

-Deggary, Northern ME.

Any idea what kind of snake? A lot of snakes eat small insects, but I had not heard of them eating bees. Maybe he chased a cockroach in? Maybe he's eating bees?

I'd take a closer look on other evenings and see what you see. Also pay attention to see if that hive is hotter than others. A hive that has a predator is usually not in a good mood.

Hi,

Some years I see snakes in the hives on BB's. I think mostly they just want a shelter. Don't believe they eat bees (maybe dead ones???). For the most part they aren't a problem unless poisonous.

Clay

Maybe it was waiting for a mouse to come in.
    D.

Thumbs down

I had to run off a rattler who took up residence in my bee yard this spring. He kept coming back until I finally caught him and carried him out about a half mile from the house and let him go again. He wasn't bad tempered but I didn't want my seven year old daughter startling him....

Rattle snakes taste good. Not quite like chicken. But a bit like chicken and a bit like shrimp. They are better if you leave them in some light brine for a few days to tenderize.

I am glad I live in COLD country not many snakes, don`t like chicken or shrimp so I knoooooow I wouldnt like snake!!!!!!!

Need to be careful as we have seen 7 rattlers this year near the hives. iIf they are here then they must be in Indiana
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

timber rattlers are considered endangered here in indiana,you aren't supposed to kill them,around my neighborhood they don't seem that endangered ,never had any trouble with them,but i hold my breath whenever i'm out picking up old sheets of tin or wood.snakes smell pretty bad,i can't imagine the bees appeciating the odor.

When I was growing up in Southern Illinois there was talk of the timber rattlers spreading their territory and moving into Illinois. We didn't have any then but there was concern that we would. Of course the concept of considering a dangerous animal endangered did not exist. A lot of people were worried about them. I always figured the copperheads were already there. The cotton mouths were already there and twice as agressive, so what's to worry about?

Kill them all,I was bite by a copperhead once,I'm more endangered than a **** snake so kill them all ,>>>>Mark

Wink

We don't have atlers , or other posion snakes , around here. However we were camping in Arizona and found a rattler. I killed him, took him home and butuchered him with the intention of eating him. The snake still wiggled after cleaning and skining so we left it on the table while we went for a morning walk. . 2 hours later it was still wiggling. I threw it away and still do not know what snake tastes like.

i'd say people are the most dangerous animal around.

Michael;
    There Rattlers in Pope County Ill. i grew up in Metropolis where were you in S.I.
    Ed

My mom's family is all in Mt. Vernon but I grew up in Greenville. Not that far South, but we thought it was.

Sounds like rattlers wiggle like snapping turtles. I cleaned one, and even after 24 hours, the heart was pumping in my hand. Mom always froze the meat and then thawed it to cook it (turtle) so it didn't wiggle when she put it in the frying pan.

I never thought of freezing it. Seems like a good idea if you don't like your meat moving when you eat it.

Cool

Killed a 5' Diamondback rattler today about 50 yards from 1 of my hives. It had 11 rattlers and a button.

That's a lot of meat.